Over 10 home remedies for dandruff are given that you can use at home to cure it and itchi scalp. Also dandruff causes in hair are discussed. Dandruff (psoriasis) in hair is the shedding of dead skin on the scalp. Proper hair care can cure dandruff.
What Causes Dandruff? One wonders, what are the usual dandruff causes? The skin of the scalp (and also of the whole body) is constantly renews itself by shedding the outer layer of skin cells. Most of the time this shedding is unnoticeable. But when this shedding becomes noticeable on the scalp, it is called dandruff.
Mild dandruff is caused not due to dryness of the scalp but usually is a result of too much oiliness of the skin. If you have large size flakes together with symptoms around your nose, eyebrows, ears, around your navel or genitals, it may be due to seborrheic dermatitis or seborrhea.
Severe dandruff may be the result of psoriasis of the scalp. Seborrheic dermatitis may be caused by an increased number of a yeast-like organism (pityrosporum ovale) found on healthy scalp in low numbers. Dandruff can occur to anybody at any age. It should not be left untreated.
Too little oil or too much oil can result in dandruff.
Zinc and essential fatty acids (pumpkin seeds, nuts, vegetable oils) are anti dandruff and can prevent dandruff.
For good hair without dandruff, drink at least 2 liter water daily, eat lots of salads, green vegetables and fresh fruits. Combs must be washed as frequently and hair should be brushed regularly. Dandruff is a scalp condition that can be controlled.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of pure vinegar in 6 teaspoons water and apply it on the scalp before going to bed. Tie a towel around the head. Wash your head next morning. After shampooing, rinse again with vinegar water. Do this once a week for at least three months to treat dandruff.
- Mix 1 teaspoons lemon juice with 2 teaspoons vinegar and massage on the scalp. Wash your hair with an egg shampoo.
- Take 1 part almond oil, 1 part pure sulphur powder, 2 parts 'surgical spirit' and 4 parts distilled water or rose water and mix well. Rub on the scalp.
- Take 2 cup water, add 4-5 tablespoons dried thyme and boil for 10 minutes. Cool, strain, and use the mixture to massage scalp. Keep for half an hour.
- Dissolve 2 aspirins in any dandruff shampoo and wash your hair.
- Massage the scalp with almond oil. Dip a towel in boiling water and wrap it around the hair. Repeat it thrice or four times when the towel gets cold.
Anti Dandruff ShampooMake an anti dandruff shampoo by mixing 100g each of amla (Indian goose berry), reetha, and shikakai, and boil in two liter of water until the liquid reduces to half. Use this shampoo for one month. Dandruff will vanish and your hair will become thick.
- Fenugreek seeds are also useful in the removal of dandruff. Grind fenugreek (methi) seeds soaked in water overnight and grind it to a fine paste in the morning. Massage this paste on scalp and hair and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off.
- Wash your hair with warm apple cider vinegar. Then cover your head with a towel or a shower cap and leave for about 30-40 minutes. Rinse with plain water. Repeat 2 times a week until your dandruff goes away.
- Take a palm full of baking soda and rub it on your wet hair. Wash it off with water. The baking soda should relieve the itching and help in reducing the problem of dandruff.
- Mix 100g witch hazel and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice in 200ml water. Shampoo your hair and apply with cotton to the scalp when the hair are still wet. Repeat several times until you get teh relief from dandruff.
- Try a shampoo with selenium sulfide or salicylic acid.
- Try Zest soap once a week. It may work for oily hair. It leaves your hair dry, so use conditioner to your hair only but try not to get it on your scalp. It has worked as a dandruff remedy for some people.