Try the effective natural hair loss (alopecia) remedies that can prevent baldness and regrow beautiful hair. Causes of hair fall in men and women are also discussed.
Note: Most of the ingredients are available from Indian grocery shops. Many of the visitors to this page have reported that they have been benefited by the following natural remedies and treatment. Note that these are not listed according to their effectiveness.
- Massage into the scalp and hair with coconut milk or Aloe Vera gel. Leave it for 1/2 hour, then rinse with warm water. Repeat 3 times a week.
- Massage into the scalp and hair honey with egg yolk. Leave for half an hour, then rinse.
- Massage almond oil on scalp 2-3 times a day, daily. This will stop further loss of hair.
Rinse hair with a mix of apple cider vinegar and sage tea to help hair grow.
- Scrub the bald portion with onions till it becomes red. Then apply honey.
- Grind half a cup of black dal lentil with one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds (dana methi) to a coarse powder. Mix well half a cup of yogurt into the powder and message over the scalp. Leave for 2 hours then rinse.
- Mix equal amount of warm castor and almond oil and massage over scalp at least once a week.
- Make a hair pack by mixing amla (Indian goose berry) powder with one egg. Apply it to your hair and leave for half an hour. Wash hair.
- Grind lime seeds and black pepper in equal number in some water and apply on the scalp regularly.
- Place raw mango pulp in some oil for a year. Massage this oil on the scalp frequently.
- Apply a paste of hot olive oil, honey, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder before bath and keep for 15 minutes.
- Apply a mixture of Aloe Vera with herbal powder triphala to the hair for a period of three to six months. This will stop hair fall and promot growth.
- Apply juice of coriander leaves on the head.
- Mix soaked fenugreek seeds (methi dana), shikakai powder, reetha powder, amla powder, dried lemon or lime peels, and two eggs, and grind to make a paste. Massage this paste onto hair and scalp and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo. This is good for making hair thick.
- Boil 1 cup mustard oil with 4 tablespoon henna (mehandi) leaves. Filter and bottle. Massage on the scalp regularly. It is very good for hair growth.
- Make a paste by mixing olive oil, honey and cinnamon (dal chini) powder. Massage on the scalp and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo. Repeat it for 3-4 times a week.
- Make a paste by grinding fenugreek seeds with water. Massage on the scalp after oiling the hair and leave it for one hour before washing. Repeat it every morning for a month.
- Make a paste by mixing two eggs, two tablespoons each of amla, reetha and shikakai powder. Massage on the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo. Repeat it for 3-4 times a week.
- Mix 1 egg, 2.5 tablespoons milk powder and 1 tablespoon wheat germ oil. Massage on the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo.
Make a shampoo by mixing 100 g each of amla (Indian goose berry), reetha, and shikakai and boil in two liters of water until the liquid reduces to half. Use this shampoo for your hair for at least one month. Your hair will stop falling and become thick.
Hair Loss Causes
You may not be knowing that all men and women lose 20 and 100 hair each day without noticing it. The question is what cuases hair loss in women and men?
Our hormones govern the development of hair that appears after puberty. The male hormone, testosterone, governs beard, body hair and hair in the armpits. The female hormone, estrogen, generally prevents hair growth on the chin and encourages it to grow on the head.
Occasionally women develop signs of baldness when estrogen levels drop. Treatment with estrogen has been successful in restoring hair growth in women.
- Mothers of newborn babies are prone to temporary hair loss after the delivery. This is because, when they are pregnant, their oestrogen level goes up. This stops their natural hair growth cycle. After the birth, their oestrogen drops again, and the hair cycle resumes.
- You may be losing hair due to thyroid dysfunction.
- Deficient in folic acid and iron deficiencies may cause lose hair.
- Excessive intake of Vitamin A can be a reason for balding.
- Hereditary is the most common cause of hair loss. You are more likely to have it if either or both of your parents had this problem. The thinning may start as early as 20s.
- You may shed large amounts of hair every day due to what is known as telogen effluvium, a phenomenon that occurs after pregnancy, extreme stress, major surgery, drastic weight loss or a side effect of some medications, such as antidepressants, beta-blockers, etc. may result in losing hair.
- It can be caused due to dandruff, psoriasis, and fungal infections such as ringworm.
How To Prevent Hair Loss
Loss of hair in women and men can be prevented or stopped if you take care of your hair and scalp.
- Do not wash your hair with too much hot water.
- Do not wash your hair more than 2 times in a week. If you use any shampoo, use only a mild shampoo.
- Do not comb the hair backwards. Use a good quality brush or comb. Avoid excessive brushing.
- Massage the scalp vigorously for 10 to 15 minutes (until you start to feel hot there) after bathing it with water. This stimulates the blood circulation and strengthens the hair follicles in the scalp and prevent hair loss.
- Coconut oil and castor are very good for hair growth.
- Boil dry pieces of amla (Indian goose berry) in coconut oil and apply on hair to prevent baldness.
- Eat a protein rich diet including green leafy vegetables, carrots, soybean, mango, dried apricots, whole grain cereals, sprouts, lentils, yeast, wheat germ, milk, yogurt (curd), and buttermilk in the daily diet.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin A and iodine such as carrots, spinach, cabbage, turnips, mustard, soy beans, peanuts, pine nuts, etc.
- Drink 1 teaspoon cider vinegar mixed in 1 glass of water with meals for 2-3 weeks.
- Drink a banana smoothie made with banana, honey, yogurt, and skim milk.
- Drink daily a juice of alfalfa + fresh spinach or fresh coriander. Your hair will grow fast.
- Drink half a litre of a mixture of lettuce and spinach juice daily to increase the growth of hair.
- To remove copper deficiency, drink juice of carrot, lettuce, capsicum and fresh alfalfa.
- Apply a paste of seeds of lemon and black pepper on the bald patches.
Give Your Comments: You can add your comments on this article or share your remedies for hair fall.
Comments to date: 32. Page 1 of 1.
kunal, IP: 220.127.116.11 9:20am on Wednesday, November 6th, 2013
I am just 15 and started loosing my hair. I started using kesh king oil and shampoo. Is it good to reduce hairfall? Please tell a good diet.
Admin: Please read and follow the details at http://www.fatfrfeekitchen.com/beauty/hair-loss.html
Raul, IP: 18.104.22.168 5:17pm on Monday, September 16th, 2013
Hi everyone, if any which point worked best for you?
Kirk, IP: 22.214.171.124 10:32am on Wednesday, August 21st, 2013
For suggestion number 9 what kind of oil should I use?
Admin: You may use coconut oil or olive oil.
K Prakash, IP: 126.96.36.199 1:15am on Monday, June 10th, 2013
My hair is falling on the right side more than the left side from the age of 18. Now I'm 20 I used lot of shampoos but no result, please help me.
Rizwana Malik, IP: 188.8.131.52 4:12pm on Tuesday, May 7th, 2013
What remedy for hair loss due to PCOS would you recommend ?
Madhuri Goklani, IP: 184.108.40.206 4:09pm on Sunday, May 5th, 2013
I am 17. My hair are falling really pathetically and it's worst now. My diet is pretty fine and I don't have that much dandruff. Suggest me something for quick effects.
Mona, IP: 220.127.116.11 1:47am on Wednesday, April 24th, 2013
My hair is falling in excessive rate from 1 year and becoming very thin and I have dry wounds that sometimes bleed when I scratch or itch. I went to a dermatologist but he says he can't do anything for me. He said its telogen effluvium. Give me some home remedy I already use amla, retha, shikakai, and coconut oil for massage. Please help me prays 4 u
Admin: It seems your hair loss may be because of scalp problem, may be fungus in scalp or some infection there. Just wash you hair with a medicated soap or water with detol added to it. Try applying tea tree oil available from Woolworths.
Abhi, IP: 18.104.22.168 10:40am on Friday, April 19th, 2013
My hair is long enough and I am 28 years old. My problem is lices in hair and their eggs. Please give any idea to get rid of these.
Admin: To treat head lice, please go to
Yasir khan, IP: 22.214.171.124 7:12pm on Friday, February 22nd, 2013
I am 15 years old I have a hair loss on right side in excessive rate. I have taken biotin but its not enough. Now one side it becomes bald. How can I treat this?
Admin: Please take the advise of a Specialist.
Shabnambhuttoo, IP: 126.96.36.199 2:32am on Wednesday, February 6th, 2013
I am losing too much hair n its sad to see this everyday. I am 24yrs female& my hair start falling at the age of12yr. I have tried everything but no results. please help. if I do not wash my hair every 2days a week I start having dandruff & my hair fall much more if i do not wash it.
Admin: Your hair may be falling because of your dandruff problem. You should treat it.
Rupal, IP: 188.8.131.52 5:55am on Thursday, January 24th, 2013
I am 25 years old female. I am experiencing heavy hair fall this winter. One more information I would like to share is that I had done chemical straightening on my hairs on December 17th 2012. I did not notice hair fall for 2 weeks, but suddenly after that my hairs start falling out and now the condition is worst. my hair falls more on the day I shampoo my hair. My hair had turned out to be very thin. Anybody can help me out, I am worried of going bald.
Admin: Your hair are falling possibly because of chemical treatment. Hair would take some time to settle or come out of the chemicals. Minimize the use of any commercial shampoo for some time. Have patience.
Madhavi, IP: 184.108.40.206 8:30am on Sunday, January 6th, 2013
Hi! I am 16 years old and I am suffering from hair loss! What remedies do u think I should use? I have never used any sort of chemicals or hair irons on my hair.
riya, IP: 220.127.116.11 3:56am on Tuesday, December 25th, 2012
Hi! I am a PCOD patient and i'm losing too much hair. I've tried everything, shampoos, conditioners, medicines etc. but still can't manage to stop this. Is it something specifically related to my disorder? If yes, then what should I do..My disorder is only in its early phases but I believe its effects on me are severe. What do I do?
Raja, IP: 18.104.22.168 9:58am on Monday, December 17th, 2012
I wash my hair with lukewarm water daily and shampoo it twice a week. Is that fine?
Admin: That is fine.
Pooja, IP: 22.214.171.124 10:29am on Wednesday, December 12th, 2012
I m 25 years old. I have grey hair. Any possibilities to cure that.
Anil Bhan, IP: 126.96.36.199 11:40am on Sunday, December 2nd, 2012
I am 28 yr male. My hair fall started at age of 23 when I was studying,there after it continued for four years. I am using King Kesh oil which has stopped hair fall completely, but is there any remedy for hair regrowth?
Admin: There are some home remedies for hair regrowth given on this page.
vinay, IP: 188.8.131.52 1:00pm on Wednesday, November 28th, 2012
I am lossing my hair and DOCTOR priscribed MINOXIDIL 5% Gel, but when I check in net the side effect shedding I realy afraid to use. Please tell me hall I use the gel?
Admin: You may take the opinion of another Doctor.
Sanober, IP: 184.108.40.206 4:30am on Sunday, November 25th, 2012
I am facing hair problem suddenly and the front side of my hair had loss i can see y scalp Plse help as here u told that to in boiling water add amla reetha and shikakai so i want to ask u r telling powder of all 3 or the whole ones Also I had read one viewers mail that she had tried ur one solution that is yolks + honey method given by u so why her hair fall and why did u told to try another hail fall remedy just asking . Also can u tell me that which are home made nautral moisturizers and toners for all skin types as i dont want to buy outside creams they contain all chemicals like sodium sulphate paraben and which shampoo i should buy
sana, IP: 220.127.116.11 11:18pm on Sunday, November 18th, 2012
my hair is falling on too much..so wanted to know which oil is good for hairgrowth thick and stop falling..are these oil good to be mix in equal qualtity,bajaj almond oil,castor,mustard oil or mustard and almond oil is good pls need a help to know which oil is good to stop hairfall.
himanshi, IP: 18.104.22.168 1:22am on Sunday, November 4th, 2012
It is about 2-3 months my hairs are start falling at a very fast rate,even when I oiling and shampoo my hairs. Plz suggest me the tips to prevent hair fall quickly.I am just 22 years old.
Admin: Be patient. Try using the remedies and tips suggested on this page.
Afreen, IP: 22.214.171.124 8:43pm on Saturday, November 3rd, 2012
Thank you for all lovely tip. For you point no. 11 - Can you please tell me what is triphala powder and aloe vera (is it powder or liquid), I could not find both in US, can you please give me some idea /brand names for both triphala powder and aloe vera. thank you very much !
Admin: Triphala is a mixture of three herbs: Amalaki (Phyllanthus emblica), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), and Haritaki. Triphala powder is available in Indian grocery stores.
Aloe vera is a succulent Plant, which is very common.
KK, IP: 126.96.36.199 9:36am on Wednesday, October 31st, 2012
Hi. I'm loosing my hair badly from front scalp. It has already become very thin, I'm using loreal dye to cover my gray hair. What to do, please suggest. Thanks a lot.
Admin: Please have patience. Try the tips and the given remedies.
Amec, IP: 188.8.131.52 10:13am on Friday, October 26th, 2012
I think, with long hair, there is a greater pliabbority, if it snagging when combing or brushing, and some have pulled out. Even with long hair are those that get stuck on their own rather stable in the other, until you are combing, while with short hair, shed hair fall could go free and get lost and thus not counted in the hair inventory. By the way, if you nothing else to do but count the number of shed hairs have every day, you have to get out.
Nichole, IP: 184.108.40.206 2:17pm on Thursday, October 25th, 2012
Im 22 years old and i have dealt with thinning hair since i was 18 but over the past three months it has gotten worse to the point where my hair will not grow and just keeps falling out and its more and more everyday. What home remedy would work best for my situation?
Hamza, IP: 220.127.116.11 6:21pm on Sunday, October 21st, 2012
My hair is not bald, but my father had hair loos. I am scared it will happen to me. I have hair but its really thin so you can see my scalp so I have started to oil my hair with almond oil before I go to bed without washing or do I have to wash it first? What can I do to prevent loosing hair plus when I oil my hair I get hairs on my hand is that normal? Please answer this for me.
Admin: We daily shed 80 to 100 hair so don't worry if some hair come on your hand when applying oil.
No need of washing hair before you apply almond oil.
Sumedha, IP: 18.104.22.168 1:09pm on Sunday, October 21st, 2012
I am having dandruff. Though my hairs are falling from a very long time but from last 2 months, they are falling at a very rapid speed. They got to thin. I am using Lore'l Instant Clear shampoo. Please do let me know which remedy should i follow and which shampoo to use. I cann't apply egg.
Admin: Boil a few pieces of amla in coconut oil and massage on scalp. Stop using any shampoo for some time and try some of the remedies given. You may try the following or other treatment:
Massage on the scalp after oiling the hair with a paste of fenugreek seeds in water and leave it for one hour before washing. Repeat it every morning for a month and see the results.
Irina Vasilieva, IP: 22.214.171.124 5:24am on Saturday, October 20th, 2012
Awesome post, where is the rss? I cant find it!
Devoted, IP: 126.96.36.199 4:46pm on Tuesday, October 16th, 2012
I have had a little bump in my head since I can remember and when I sweat in my scalp or when its wet, I itch on that spot terribly. Its been there for as long as I can remember. Problem is, I lose hair terribly at that same spot too frequently. My hair grows beautifully but just that spot that almost won't grow hair for long. What could be responsible and what home remedy would help?
Admin: Please consult a specialist.
Vero, IP: 188.8.131.52 6:25am on Sunday, October 14th, 2012
Noticed a really thin patch on right side head. Basically on way to being a bald patch!! and a little at front. I don't want it to spread! Which remedy from above would you recommend?? I am 51 yrs. Never had problem before with hair! Really noticeable very worried!! like idea of castor, almond oil.. but which others?
Admin: You can try a remedy,but consult a specialist. It could be due to fungus growth?
ashley, IP: 184.108.40.206 6:16am on Tuesday, October 9th, 2012
I am 8yrs old and all my hair has fallen out.
Admin: Please consult a specialist.
Saranya, IP: 220.127.116.11 4:12pm on Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012
I just wanted to say that my hair has become so bad and am scared that whether I would go bald as its winter now in US my hair is getting worse. Give some home remedy so that my hair grows and I can't step out of home due to these problems. If this leads then only thing which is going on my mind is hair transplant but i can't spend lots of my hubby's money in that.
Admin: 1. Drink a juice of alfalfa, spinach, lettuce, carrot and coriander for a few days.
2. Massage almond oil on scalp 2-3 times a day, daily to stop further loss of hair.
3. Increase foods rich in protein, vitamin A and iodine in your diet.
SAFREEN KAZI, IP: 18.104.22.168 1:06am on Thursday, September 13th, 2012
My hair is falling in excessive rate. It has become thin, no shampoo or oil is helping. I want to have thick hair, can you please suggest a home made remedy, that is time saving.
Admin: Please try the different home remedies for hair loss and hair fall given on hair loss remedy page.