How to increase HDL cholesterol naturally by eating certain foods. Eating foods from the given list and avoiding certain food items can improve your HDL cholesterol.
A low level of HDL (less than 35mg/dL) is considered as a risk factor, even if your total cholesterol is within limits, i.e. your risk of heart disease is elevated. It is found that even small increases in HDL cholesterol could reduce the risk of heart attacks. For each 1 mg/dL increase in HDL cholesterol there is a 2 - 4% reduction in the risk of coronary heart disease.
Please consult your doctor if you have high cholesterol.
You can increase your HDL cholesterol by simple life style modifications. Regular aerobic exercise within your target heart rate and weight loss will help elevate your HDL. You can boost the level of your HDL cholesterol by the following:
- Foods that raise HDL cholesterol include onions, omega-3 acids, and soluble fibers. Eat half a raw onion a day raises HDL (good) cholesterol an average of 25 percent in most people with cholesterol problems.
- Eat at least two servings of soluble fibers foods. Soluble fiber is found in whole grains, oats and oat bran, brown rice, fruits such as citrus fruit, apples, grapes, etc. and legumes & lentils (nutrition of lentils). The soluble fiber raises HDL levels and helps lower total cholesterol. The wholegrain are also good source of linoleic acid.
- Use healthy cooking oils higher in monounsaturated fats, such as canola or olive oil for raising HDL cholesterol levels. It is found that monounsaturated fats raise HDL levels.
- Increase your consumption of omega-3 fatty acid foods such as fish, cold-pressed flaxseed oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, dark green vegetables, etc.
- Eat at least two servings of soy (phytoestrogens) products. Tofu, tempeh, and TVP (texturized vegetable protein) may help raising HDL levels. Include at least two servings each day.
- Avoid trans fats i.e. hydrogenated oil or vegetable shortening.
In India trans-fats are sold in brand names of Dalda, Rath, and Vanaspati. Many snacks makers in India and elsewhere use trans-fats in frying samosa, kachori and bakery products. So avoide these to increase hdl cholesterol.
Choose a liquid or semisoft variety of margarine in your diet Trans fatty acids are found in and many fast foods and french fries, baked goods such as cookies, crackers and cakes. Remember, the softer the spread, the less trans fat it contains.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates like sugar and refined flour. These have shown to raise blood cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Avoid food sources of cholesterol such as egg yolk, liver, kidney, brains, etc. Foods to avoid for high cholesterol
- Avoid high fat dairy products such as regular milk, cheese and cream.
- Reduce alcohol intake. However, alcohol (wine or beer) in moderation may increase HDL levels. However, if your do not drink, don't start to raise HDL, it is not a medicine.
- Do aerobic exercise (brisk walking, jogging, etc.) every alternate day.
subhash gora, IP: 18.104.22.168 6:20am on Sunday, May 3rd, 2015
LDL 122, Total cholestrol 182, triglisrides 97, VLDL cholestrol 19.4. Suggestions required
santosh, IP: 22.214.171.124 5:26am on Monday, April 27th, 2015
HDL is 24.3 kindly advise the food to increase this. I am doing the treadmill for 30min daily
saravana ayyappan, IP: 126.96.36.199 12:30am on Sunday, March 29th, 2015
i have hdl 33. advise me to increase my HDL by natural process
KOSHY, IP: 188.8.131.52 12:01pm on Tuesday, November 18th, 2014
My age 52, My total cholesterol is 177, HDL 24,LDL 122, Triglycerides 132.
sumer singh gehlot, IP: 184.108.40.206 5:15am on Wednesday, November 12th, 2014
My Pipid values cholesterol 285 tg 262 HDL 75 LDL 157 VLDL 52
mahesh vora, IP: 220.127.116.11 8:05am on Sunday, October 12th, 2014
You have not mentioned about benefits of flexseed and Garlic
Rudrappa Gowda M.G, IP: 18.104.22.168 1:08am on Friday, June 27th, 2014
HDL-29mg/dl, Total chl=150, LDL-99 mg/dl. Advise me to increase my HDL by natural process. I am vegetarian.
Satyajit Ray, IP: 22.214.171.124 10:21am on Thursday, May 22nd, 2014
I have hdl 35 total cholesterol 170 ldl 90.
Amit Shah, IP: 126.96.36.199 8:06am on Thursday, May 22nd, 2014
Chol: 194.6; HDL: 33.2; TRIGLY: 182.8; VLDL: 36.6; LDL: 124.8; RATIO: 5.9. Kindly advise diet.
Ravi, IP: 188.8.131.52 11:52am on Friday, March 21st, 2014
Total cholesterol 140.6,triglycerides 91.8,hdl 42.8,ldl79.4,vLDL 18.4,cholesterol/Hdl ratio 3.3.
VIJAYA RAGHAVA, IP: 184.108.40.206 11:53am on Monday, January 6th, 2014
Total cholesterol is 133, ldl-74, hdl - 26, TRIGLYCERIDES -168, I go for brisk walk 30-40mins a day 5 days per week.
suresh babu, IP: 220.127.116.11 2:41am on Tuesday, February 26th, 2013
my lipid values: Triglycerides 299, HDL 35, LDL 60.
Arup Sarkar, IP: 18.104.22.168 12:31am on Wednesday, February 20th, 2013
My lipid values : TRIGLOCERIDES 167, HDL 44, LDL 85.
Admin: Your HDL cholesterol is low, an HDL greater than 50 is considered good. A LDL value of 85 is also low, it should be betweden 100-125. You have borderline high triglyceride level.