Know the details on fat lip, fat lip pictures, its causes and know how to heal a swollen lip and a fat lip at home.
The fat lips may be by birth. Fat or swollen lips may be due to several reasons. The soft flesh of the lips make them vulnerable to injury. Following are the possible causes for lips getting swollen or fat.
Lips are amongst the most important part on the face as they add to the beauty of the person. Healthy and beautifully shaped pink colored and thin lips give an attractive look to the face. The thickness, shape and color of the lips varies from person to person. Lips may be thin or fat.
Pictures of Fat Lips
- A trauma, blow, injury, cut or wound on lips or mouth can cause a fat lip. Trauma to the mouth including lips and tongue is quite common. With a blow to the face, the lips can be crushed against the teeth, causing bruising or cuts. Sometimes, a person can cut his lips from inside from his teeth while chewing.
- An insect bite and stings such as bees, hornets or wasps can cause fat lips.
- An infection such as lip herpes can lead to blisters and swelling.
- An allergic reaction from some foods or from dust, pollens, animal fur, lipsticks, etc. can cause swollen lips. Allergies can also cause itchy lips, swollen tongue and rashes around the lips.
- Certain chemicals present in cosmetic products
- Certain medical conditions such as hives, eczema, Crohn's disease, glucagonoma, myxedema and psoriasis can cause swollen lips.
- Certain medicines such as antibiotics can swell the lips. Some medicines can also cause bleeding, change in color and texture of the lips.
- Deficiency of vitamin B can cause swelling on the corners of the lips causing difficulty in opening the mouth.
In order to treat a fat or swollen lip, you have to first determine what has caused your lips to become fat. If the cause is an injury, medicine or allergy, you have to check the amount of damage and the extent of injury; whether it has affected your teeth, gums and mouth. A warm salt-water solution used twice daily on the cut will speed up the healing process.
Cuts inside the mouth usually bleed, but generally heal quickly because of extensive network of blood vessels in the mouth area. Gargles with some salt water or a hydrogen peroxide solution (in equal parts) will heal the inside of the mouth quickly.
You should clean the injured area with mild soap water and a soft clean cloth. If the bleeding does not stop you should consult your Doctor. If the injury and cut are deep and long, consult your Doctor.
- If there is bleeding, apply pressure with a clean cloth for at least 5 minutes.
- Warm & Cold Compresses
For the first 24 hours of the injury, apply a warm compress on the lips. This will help disperse the blood. Dip a towel in warm water for 10-15 minutes and use as a hot compress. Heat reduces the blood accumulation and decreases swelling.
After a day, use cold compresses. Take some ice cubes covered in a cloth and put on the swollen lips for 10-15 minutes. Repeat 2-3 times a day to limit bleeding, swelling and discomfort. This also makes the area numb thereby by reducing the pain.
- Wash your lips with water with a few drops of grapefruit seed extract or tea tree oil added to disinfectant the lips.
- Apply arnica oil, olive oil, castor oil or Witch Hazel to the affected area. These are natural soothing and healing agents.
- Grate a potato and squeeze its juice and apply on the lips to heal them.
- Mix a few drops of peppermint or lavender essential oil in a little olive, coconut, sunflower or pumpkin oil and apply on the lips to treat them.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder to 1 tsp of glycerin and apply on the lips.
- Apply Vaseline or medicated lip balm on the lips to keep out infection.
- Take a leaf of Aloe vera and apply its gel on the fat lip to reduce swelling.
- Soak a tea bag in warm water for a few minutes and take out. When it cools down, place it on swollen lips for a few minutes to reduce swelling.
- Apply a mixture of Fuller's earth, turmeric powder and water to reduce swelling and speed up healing.
- Mix an apple's pulp to some honey and butter to form a thick paste. Apply on to your for half an hour, then wash it with water. This has a soothing effect and cures swelling of the lips.
- Drink water to keep the lips moisturized.
Consult your Doctor.
Mix Coconut oil : 100 ml, Dettol : 2 ml and Carbolic acid or Tea tree oil: 3 ml and apply on the swollen areas 2-3 times a day. This formula is good not only for insect bites, but also for cold sores, boils, minor itching at under arms, between the thighs, anus, etc. You can keep this bottle for years to treat such conditions.
Treatment of Natural Fat Lips
If you are born with a larger, fuller and fat lip, then you are not alone. There are many people who want to reduce the size of their lips. It is done by lip reduction surgery. However, there are complications and risks involved.
Lip reduction is a method that aims to take away excess tissues in your lips, so the appearance of large lips is reduced. The lip reduction surgery takes takes about 20-30 minutes.
When To Call a Professional
After injury, you must consult a Doctor in the following situations:
- Bleeding does not stop.
- There is a deep cut on the lip.
- The cut is on the border between the lip and facial skin.
- If a tooth becomes loose.
- If you suspect an infection. Signs of any infection include redness, fever or formation of pus in the wound. Note that these symptoms of infection usually appear after 3-4 days four days after the injury.
Also Read The Following
Stomach Pain Relief | Acidity symptoms | Bee sting treatment | Heartburn Remedy | Common cold cure | Cold sores remedies | Sores throat home remedy |Natural constipation remedies |Canker sores cure | Home Remedies for diarrhea | Home remedies for sinus infection | Ear infection remedies | Ear wax removal at home | Chapped Lips Home Remedies | Fat Lips treatment | Grey hair remedies | Indigestion and loose motion | Heat rash remedies | Hiccups home remedy | Kidney stones home remedies | Hemorrhoids home cure | Head lice remedies | Sunburn symptoms | Sunpoisoning symptoms | Weight loss home remedies | Yeast infection home remedy | Grandma's home remedies | Herbal Remedies
Disclaimer: Please note that the home remedies for fat and swollen lips are only for minor common symptoms and should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. You should not rely on these remedies. Always consult your Doctor for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. You should also avoid using any of these remedies if you are allergic to any of the ingredients. The writer of this article or fatfreekitchen.com is not responsible in any manner.