Sandwich recipes given here make very tasty, tempting and healthy sandwiches. Some of these are completely free from any cholesterol and fat, while others are of reduced fat variety. These sandwiches are good for everybody including kids. These are ideal for lunch boxes, picnic and parties.
What makes a sandwich health? There are three main components of a sandwich: bread, spread and filling.
Bread: Select a nutritious bread. Look for a low glycemic index, high fiber, whole wheat, whole grain and multi fiber breads. You can also use breads with ingredients such as oatmeal, pumpkin seeds, linseeds, rye bread, etc. Note that a multi-grain bread is generally white bread. if you have an allergy for gluten, chose a gluten-free bread or brown rice tortillas and corn tortillas. You can also use wraps, tortillas and pita instead of breads.
Spreads: Chose a healthy spread. Avocado is the best choice for spread because it is high in monounsaturated fatty acid. You can opt for a low calorie canola based spread, low fat mayonnaise, coriander-mint chutney, honey, vegemite, etc. Look for heart foundation tick mark on the spreads.
Fillings there are a variety of options for fillings in a sandwich. Best and simple fillings are sliced vegetables such as cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce, zucchini, mushroom, carrot; bean sprouts, or even leftover cooked vegetables. Be creative. Consider to include walnuts and raisins, tofu, cheese, olives, etc. If you eat meat, then you can fill tuna, salmon, sardines, along with some vegetables.
Coriander Chutney Sandwiches
Given below are recipes for low-fat, low-calorie vegetarian sandwiches, corriander chutney sandwiche, masala sandwich, etc.
Recipe type:Vegetarian, fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-calorie
Preparation time: 10 minute
- 2 pieces brown (whole-wheat) bread
- 1 piece white bread
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated cabbage
- 3 tsp fat free yogurt (optional)
- 3 tsp coriander-mint chutney
1. Mix yogurt and coriander-mint chutney thoroughly and spread a layer of it on one piece of brown bread followed by a layer of grated carrot. Cover it with the piece of white bread.
2. Spread a thin layer of yogurt-chutney mix on it followed by a layer of cabbage and cover it with the second piece of brown bread. Bind the sandwich with a little pressure.
Finish the sandwich by trimming the four edges. Cut diagonally into two pieces.
3. Place in a plate and garnish with a few leaves of fresh mint.
You can prepare the sandwich without mixing yogurt in the chutney which will give a different taste.
- 3 slices white bread
- 3 tsp. coriander-mint chutney
- 3 tsp. tomato sauce
- 3 tsp. butter substitute
- Thin the bread slices by a rolling pin and remove all the four edges by a knife.
- Spread chutney on one side of a slice and cover it with another slice and spread tomato sauce on it. Place the third slice on it and spread butter substitute.
- Roll the sandwich into a cylindrical shape.
- Cut the roll at an angle into three or four pieces.
- Place the pieces in a plate and garnish with a few leaves of fresh mint.
Masala Sandwich Recipe
Submitted by Shilpa
- Potatoes, cubed, 1 cup
- Mixed vegetables, 1 cup frozen
- Onion, 1/2, finely chopped
- garam masala, 1 tsp
- Lemon juice, 1 Tbsp
- Canola or olive oil, 1 tsp (optional)
- Sugar, 1 tsp
- Red chili powder, 1 tsp or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Wholemeal Bread slices
- Spray oil (optional) in a bow, put cubed potatoes and bake for 4 min., stir in between.
- Add the vegetables and cook again for 2 min.
- Add all the other ingredients and cook for 1 min.
- Place a bread slice in the sandwich toaster and spread a thick layer of the masala mixture and put another slice of bread on top and toast the sandwich.
- Repeat step 4 for the remaining sandwiches.
Serve hot with tomato sauce or chili sauce.