"Crave" means to want greatly and urgently. The meaning of food craving is an intense desire to consume a specific food. People with cravings for foods generally have uncontrollable urge for ice cream, chocolate, cake, potato chips and similar things. Almost everyone experiences food cravings.
Healthy Weight Information
Weight Loss Tips
Calorie Burning Chart
Daily Calorie Burn Calculator
BMI Calculator & Chart
Natural metabolism boosters
Abdominal Exercises To Lose Belly Fat
Foods to avoid for weight loss
Body Fat Percentage Chart
Female Body Type Pictures
Ideal Body Weight
Waist To Hip Ratio
List of negative calorie foods
Fat Burning Food List
Homemade Bodywraps for Weight Loss
Weight Loss Home Remedies
A craving is a biochemical urge. It arises because the body has a need for it. The flavor, taste, aroma, texture, and temperature of foods may be responsible for food cravings. The cravings for som foods are linked to their ingredients.
- If you eat some sugary food, you feel the urge to consume more sugar, because the brain has become used to release happy hormones every time sugar is present. A sugar craving may be caused due to deficiency of protein or chromium, or it may be due to fluctuating blood sugar levels.
- The craving for chocolate is due to the present of amino acid phenylethylamine in chocolate, which is important for the regulation of the body's release of endorphins.
- The cause of craving of salt may be due to adrenal stress, muscular disorders, high blood pressure, and diabetic.
- The cravings for sour foods may be caused due to the body's requirement of acetic acid to help detoxify a chemical produced from decaying proteins.
- The reason of cravings may also be due to some food allergy or yeast problem.
- Women sometimes have food craving during pregnancy for strange foods like chocolate, pickles, tamarind, clay, ice, toothpaste, milk, fruit, hot chips, pizza, cheese, ice, dirt, sand, laundry powder, cigarette butts, etc. The extreme hormones oestrogen, progesterone and HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) levels during pregnancy can alter woman's sense of taste and smell including increased bitter and decreased salt sensitivity. This can also be attributed to the deficiency of certain nutrients that their body need during pregnancy period.
Food Craving Chart
If you crave for a food, it means your body may be deficient in something. What do food cravings mean to you. See the chart below.
|If you crave for||You need|
|Sweets, Desserts||Chromium, Carbon, Phosphorus, Sulfur, Tryptophan|
|Coffee or tea||Phosphorous, Sulfur, salt (Sodium foods), Iron (Foods High In Iron)|
|Carbonated drinks||Calcium (Calcium Foods)|
|Alcohol||Protein (Foods High In Protein), Avenin, Calcium, Glutamine, Potassium|
|Oily snacks, Fried foods||Calcium|