Thermogenesis is a process in which the body burns or converts calories to heat from the foods that we eat. All foods burn energy to maintain body's regular metabolic functions, a small percentage of calories are burned through thermogenesis. Some are good thermogenics which burn more energy. Learn below a list of top 10 thermogenic foods that help burn fat and weight loss
Healthy Weight Information
Weight Loss Tips
Calorie Burning Chart
Daily Calorie Burn Calculator
BMI Calculator & Chart
Natural metabolism boosters
Abdominal Exercises To Lose Belly Fat
Foods to avoid for weight loss
Body Fat Percentage Chart
Female Body Type Pictures
Ideal Body Weight
Waist To Hip Ratio
List of negative calorie foods
Fat Burning Food List
Homemade Bodywraps for Weight Loss
Weight Loss Home Remedies
What are Thermogenic Foods?
The thermogenic foods increase the rate that the body burns the stored fat to release energy. As the calories are burnt, you have more energy so you become active for physical activities which in turn burn more calories. Therefore these thermogenic foods are known as foods that burn fat.
The thermogenic foods slightly increase the body temperature, thereby stimulating the metabolism rate. It should be noted that only about 10 percent of the caloric intake is burned due to thermogenic effect. This means that if you consume 2500 calories, you can expect to expend about 250 calories in digesting that food. Proteins burn 30 percent of their caloric value, while fats have a thermic effect of 3 percent and fruits and vegetables of about 20 percent.
Many diet pills or tablets contain thermogenics. Some common thermogenics supplements are Lee Labrada, Geon, Icon Laboratories, Champion Nutrition, AST research, Syntrax Innovations etc. There are many different types of thermogenic foods that help in weight loss. Ephedrine and Yohimbe herbs are powerful herbal thermogenic compounds.
List of Top 10 Thermogenic Foods That Burn fat
- Citrus Aurantium or Bitter Orange: This increases metabolic rate, promotes weight loss and increases energy level. This is a caloric expenditure and fat burner.
- Protein: The lean protein is the best example of thermogenic food. Lean proteins are found in turkey and chicken breast, red meat like sirloin, buffalo, bison and seafood like shellfish, and egg whites. Low fat dairy products and legumes are also good examples.
- Guarana: Increases body's metabolic rate.
- Spices: Spices such as red hot peppers (Cayenne peppers) and black pepper increases thermogenesis, according to Dr. Margriet Westerterp-Plantenga of Maastricht University in The Netherlands.
Hot peppers contain capsaicin, which increases thermogenesis, so the people who eat a spicy meal containing capsaicin, they experience an immediately increase in energy expenditure following their spicy meal.
The piperine in black pepper can influence thermogenesis through stimulating the nervous system.
- Mustard: Adding mustard sauce to a meal can increase the metabolism rate by about 25 percent.
- Green tea contains caffeine and catechins which increase thermogenesis.
- Salsa: A study showed that salsa stimulates the metabolism approximately 20%. It is a natural thermogenic food that increases your metabolism.
- Brindleberry: This helps suppress the appetite and block carbohydrates being converted into fats.
- Drink ice water, which burns calories as your metabolism increases to warm up the water.