Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans or bengal gram (chole or kabuli chana in Hindi) are low in saturated fat, and very low in cholesterol and sodium. These are a very good source of folate and manganese and also a good source of protein, dietary fiber and copper.
The following nutrition data table of chickpeas shows that chickpea is high in potassium, fiber, protein, folate, iron, magnesium; and low in fat, cholesterol and sodium. This food is very good for health.
Nutriional information of Raw Mature Chickpeas seeds
|Serving size: 1 cup = 200g|
Data compiled by FatFreeKitchen.com
|Calories: 728 |
Calories from fat: 101
Calories from carbohydrate: 493
Calories from protein: 134
Total Fat: 12g
Saturated fat: 1.3g
Omega-3 fatty acid: 202mg
Omega-6 fatty acids: 5.2g
Dietary Fiber: 35g
Vitamin A: 134 IU
Beta Carotene: 80.0 mcg
Vitamin C: 8.0mg
Vitamin E: 1.6mg
Vitamin B6: 1.1mg
Chole curry is a healthy dish, as it is good source of protein and dietary fibre.
Recipe type: Low fat, cholesterol free
Ingredients For Chole Recipe
- Kabuli Chana (Chick Peas), 250 g
- Chana Dal, 50 g
- Onion, 1, chopped
- Potato, 1 medium size, steamed and finely chopped
- Tomato, 2 chopped
- Garlic, 5 cloves, finely chopped
- Ginger root, 1 inch, finely chopped
- Green chili,3 chopped
- Coriander, washed , finely chopped 1 cup
- Lime/lemon Juice, 1 tsp
- Canola oil or Olive oil, 2 Tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder,1 tsp
- Coriander Powder, 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp
- garam masala, 1 tsp
- Black Pepper, 1/2 tsp
- Amchur, 1 tsp
- Cinnamon, 1/2 tsp powdered
- Cloves, 2, powdered
- Wash chick peas and chana dal. Soak chick peas and chana dal together in about 500 ml water overnight.
- Cook chick peas and chana dal in the same water (Step 1) till they become soft.
- Heat a deep skillet and pour oil. When the oil becomes hot, add onion,garlic, ginger and green chili. Fry for 5-7 minutes. Add all the spices and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked chick peas and chana dal with water (Step 2) into the skillet (Step 3).Add potato tomato and lime juice. Cook till 75% of the water evaporates and a thick gravy is formed.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
Serve hot with chappati, roti, tortilla, bread, plain rice, etc.
A pressure cooker saves time and fuel for cooking wholegrains in general.
Some people like a black color of the cooked chole. For this put 4-5 tea bags in the pot when you soak and cook the chole. Remove the tea bags when the desired color is reached.