Maa ki dal recipe, also known as Dal makhani is given which is a popular dish served in restaurants.
Urad dal sabut, whole black gram is used in this dish.
Recipe type: Low fat, whole grain, very low cholesterol
Preparation time: 40 minute
- 1/2 cup Maa ki Dal (Urad dal sabut, whole black gram)
- 1/4 cup Kidney beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped or pureed
- 1 green Chili, chopped
- 1" ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 cup milk skim
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (or ghee)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 small grain Hing (Asafoateda)
- salt to taste
- Mix dal and kidney beans and wash thoroughly. Put in a deep skillet (or pressure cooker) and add water. Cook on medium heat until become soft, about 25 minutes. Keep aside.
- Grind onion, ginger, green chili and all the spices in a grinder to make a paste (add a little bit water if necessary.).
- Heat another skillet and add oil. Add the above paste and fry for 5-7 minutes over medium heat. Add tomato and stir well, cook for another 1 minute. Transfer the cooked dal in the frying pan.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and mix the lime juice. Add milk and stir thoroughly. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with naan, chappati, roti, tortilla, bread, plain rice, etc. Note
If you take onion, ginger and chili very finely chopped, then grinding is not necessary.