If you lose about 10 % of our water, you are dehydrated. How do you lose body water? Well, if you go 6 times to toilet for vee, then six cups of water are gone. Your lungs expel 2 - 4 cups of water each day through breathing. Sweating also expels lot of water. If you exercise, you lose water. Even without sweating the body is losing water through the skin. We lose much water each day through perspiration, respiration, urination and bowel movements.
Effect of Dehydration
Difficulty in blood circulation
How much water?
Don't wait until you're thirsty. Every adult should consume at least 35ml per kilogram of body weight spread over the whole day. This means that if you are 50 kg, then you should drink 35x50 = 1.75 litre of water. You may need to drink even more depending on your body size and physical activity. If your urine's color is very light yellow or colorless, then you are drinking enough water.
Dehyration Signs and Symptoms
Excessive thirst, dry mouth, dry skin, fatigue, little or no urination, headache, weakness, muscle cramps, dizziness, lightheadedness
The urine colour is the best test. If it is translucent or has a yellowish tinge, your body is hydrated. But if it is bright yellow, you should drink ensuring that you sip one cup at a time at regular intervals instead of guzzling bottles at a time. Note that excess water can lead to water intoxication and hyponatermia.
There's no substitute for water. Beverages containing sugars, salt and caffeine are not good. They harm the body. However, you may want to replace them with water whenever possible and at least keep them at a low to moderate level.
Water Therapy : Water Use
- Water Therapy for Healthy Skin
- Water is a natural remedy for achieving a beautiful, elastic, healthy glowing and smooth skin tips.
- Water hydrates, revitalizes and detoxifies the skin and maintains muscle tone and healthy skin. Therefore, the secret of a glowing skin is drinking lots of water. The right amount of water is necessary for skin?s elasticity and suppleness.
- Water is a body purifier by removing toxins and waste.
- If your water intake is low, then dehydration cause cells to become dry, crack and peel, resulting in premature ageing. The skin develops fine lines as signs of skin ageing.
- Constipation due to low water intake raises toxin levels in the body and may show up as acne and pimples.
- Water also keeps the digestive tract in order. It is important for the digestion and absorption of food.
- It helps in transporting oxygen and nutrients to the cells.
- Water helps to flush out the toxins (chemicals, additives, junk food). It may reduce blood sugar.
- Water controls constipation, keeps digestive system in order. Water is a constipation home remedy.
- It helps reducing cramps. Water helps keep blood pumped with oxygen.
- Lack of water dries the mouth which leads to bad breath. It is an important cause of bad breath.
- Water is very good for reducing weight.
- It is useful in preventing urinary tract infections and kidney stones removal.
- Water helps in morning sickness in pregnancy.
- Drink lots of water to back pain treatment.
- Drinking your body hydrates cartilage tissues which lubricate the body's joints during movement and minimize damage to the joint caused by friction.
- Water decreases water retention. The body retains water because of excess of sodium and /or insufficient water intake. The more sodium you take in, the more water your body will retain to dilute the sodium concentration. Drinking plenty of water will carry the excess sodium in urine.
If you deprive your body of ample amounts of water, the body goes to survival mode and starts to hold onto every drop of water it possibly can for future needs. If there is ample supply of water, then the body will thinks that there is an excess supply of water so it stars to through it out!
List of foods that keep us hydrated
Some foods can keep you hydrated with the added advantage of fiber and other phytonutrients. Replace at least one glass of water a day with one serving of raw fruits or vegetables. Foods that contain high levels of nutrients and water are mangoes, Avocado, Broccoli, Cucumber, Pomegranates, Spinach, etc.
Coconut water is good to cure dehydration. It is an antioxidant and high in podtassium and electrolytes so it has many health benefits.