If you have elevated blood pressure (blood pressure range), you may eat a high blood pressure diet including low fat fiber rich foods and foods high in potassium, magnesium, calcium and vitamin C. Include plenty of fruits and vegetables that lower blood pressure such as apples, asparagus, banana,berries, broccoli, cabbage, raisins and sweet potatoes, and whole grains in your diet.
All Cholesterol Articles | Triglycerides Level | Blood pressure chart | High blood pressure | Lower Cholesterol | Cholesterol levels chart | HDL/LDL Cholesterol Ratio | Cholesterol Units | How Increase HDL cholesterol | Cholesterol Free Foods | List of High Cholesterol Foods | List of Foods that raise hdl cholesterol | healthy cooking oils | Cholesterol in oils | Cholesterol in French fries | Cholesterol in scallops | Cholesterol in milk
Foods To Avoid
1. High salt foods
2. Foods with saturated fat
3. Foods with trans-fats, hydrogeneated oils
Foods That Lower Blood Pressure
1. Eat high potassium foods
2. Eat high calcium foods
Example of foods to eat
1. Apple, avacodo, banana, berries, broccoli, fish, grapes, oats, orange juice
2. Eat garlic, raw or in food.
1. Amino acids : Co-Q10 120mg, l-carnitine 1000mg
2. Flax oil 1 tablespoon
3. Fish oil 400 DHA, 600 EPA
4. Herbs: hawthorne 1.5g, Psyllium husk Psyllium husk benefits
5. Minerals: Potassium 2500mg, calcium 660mg, magnesium 260mg
Take advise of your Doctor on Supplements.
The findings of an extensive study reported in April 2008 in the Journal of Archives of Internal Medicine suggests that those who followed a DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) which includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat milk and plant-based protein can control high blood pressure.
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (www.nhlbi.nih.gov) recommends the following eating plan which is based on 2,000 calories a day. Note that the number of daily servings in a food group may vary from those listed, depending upon your caloric needs.
| Food Group ||Daily Servings (except as noted) || Serving Sizes |
|Grains and grain products ||7 - 8 ||1 slice bread |
1 cup ready-to-eat cereal*
1/2 cup cooked rice, pasta, or cereal
|Vegetables ||4 - 5 ||1 cup raw leafy vegetable 1/2 cup cooked vegetable |
6 ounces vegetable juice
|Fruits ||4 - 5 ||1 medium fruit |
1/4 cup dried fruit
1/2 cup fresh, frozen, or canned fruit
6 ounces fruit juice
|Lowfat or fat free dairy foods ||2 - 3 ||8 ounces milk |
1 cup yogurt
1 1/2 ounces cheese
|Lean meats, poultry, and fish ||2 or fewer ||3 ounces cooked lean meat, |
skinless poultry, or fish
|Nuts, seeds, and dry beans ||4 - 5 per week ||1/3 cup or 1 1/2 ounces nuts |
1 tablespoon or 1/2 ounce seeds
1/2 cup cooked dry beans
|Fats and oils ||2 - 3 ||1 teaspoon soft margarine |
1 tablespoon lowfat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons light salad dressing
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
|Sweets ||5 per week ||1 tablespoon sugar |
1 tablespoon jelly or jam
1/2 ounce jelly beans
8 ounces lemonade
Source:National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute www.nhlbi.nih.gov
* Serving sizes vary between 1/2cup and 1 1/4cups. Check the product nutrition.
1 tablespoon of regular salad dressing equals 1 serving, 1 tablespoon of lowfat salad dressing equals 1/2 serving and 1 tablespoon of fat free salad dressing equals 0 servings.
If you have high blood pressure, then the natural question is how to control it. Lowering your blood pressure will greatly reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke and other illnesses. You can lower your blood pressure by having a control over the factors causing it. The good news is that you can improve all of the high blood pressure symptoms, except hereditary.
High Blood Pressure Cure
First look at the reasons for having a high blood pressure. Once you identify the reasons for your elevated blood pressure, try to eliminate them.
In general, switching over to a healthier lifestyle can control your blood pressure. Follow the following recommendations to keep your blood pressure at healthier levels without the need for medication:
- Remove your cause of mental tension or stress or worries. If the reason is your office, discuss the problem with your colleagues and seniors. Don't keep the problem with you. Mental tensions can often be reduced by a brisk walk, laugh loudly and relaxation or meditation. In fact, if you daily practice meditation, you can control your blood pressure for ever.
- Maintain your weight. Exercise more often. Since excess body fat is a primary risk factor in hypertension, it is important to maintain a healthy weight.
- Be physically active. Brisk walking, bicycling, raking leaves, and gardening are the best exercises.
- Follow a low fat diet. Eliminate cholesterol in your diet.
- Eliminate salt from your diet. Look at the salt content of tinned foods, snacks, potato chips, French fries, diet soft drinks, sauces, etc. These are high in salt, don't eat them. Do not eat foods that contain soda, sodium, Na, monosodium glutamate, baking soda and preservatives. Read the food labels carefully. With herbs, spices, garlic and onions, you can make your food tasty without salt.
Know about high sodium foods and Daily Salt Intake Recommendation.
- Restrict consumption of refined sugars. Read the lables and note different names of sugars.
- A high fiber diet is recommended.
Music Lowers Blood PressureJust breathe slowly, turn on some quiet, slow rhythmic music (classical, Celtic or raga music) for just half an hour a day for four weeks and watch your blood pressure tumble drastically, according to Dr Pietro A Modesti, Professor of Internal Medicine in the University of Florence in Italy, as reported at the 23rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Society of Hypertension.
Herbs For hypertension: Arjuna, Sarpagandha, Gokshura, Punarnava
- Eat foods that lower high blood pressure as given below.
Blood Pressure Lowering Guide
- Reduce weight
- Eat 5 serves of fruits and vegetables daily.
- There are many vegetarian recipes for high blood pressure on this site.
- Stop smoking
- No caffeine
- Low salt diet
- Control the peg: Heavy drinking may affect the function of muscles within the blood vessels, causing them to constrict and increasing BP.
- Yoga for weightloss
- Mild sadation on Doctor's advise
- You may try acupuncture for high blood pressure.