The following super foods are high in nutritients like calcium, magnesium and potassium that help in lowering blood pressure, so they are also good for prevention of hypertension and heart disease.
In the nutrition data, the % shown are the % of the daily Value for a 2000 calorie diet.
- Spinach, cooked (1/2 cup) Vitamin B6 : 11% Vitamin E : 5% Folate : 33% Calcium : 12% Magnesium : 20% Potassium : 12%
- Black-eyed beans, cooked (1/2 cup) Vitamin B6 : 3% Folate : 26% Calcium : 11% Magnesium : 11% Potassium : 10%
- Broccoli, Boiled (1/2 cup) Vitamin B6 : 6% Vitamin E : 7% Folate : 10% Calcium : 4% Magnesium : 5% Potassium : 7%
- Fat free Milk (1 cup) Vitamin B6 : 5% Vitamin B12 : 15% Calcium : 28% Magnesium : 6.5% Potassium : 11%
- Tea, Raspberry, Strawberry and Bilberry Juices A cup of tea everyday can cut down the risk of heart disease by preventing fatty deposits from building up in arteries, according to a study in Glasgow and France. The protective effect comes from the phenolic compounds and flavonoids found in these drinks, reprts the study published in the journal Food Chemistry (September 2009). The juice of strawberry, raspberry or bilberry has the same protecvtive effect.
- Tuna, canned, in water (3 oz.) Vitamin B6 : 19% Vitamin B12 :31 Vitamin E : 7 Magnesium : 7 Potassium : 6
- Pink salmon, with bones, canned (3 oz.) Vitamin B6 : 13 Vitamin B12 : 62 Vitamin E : 6 Calcium : 18 Magnesium : 7 Potassium : 8
- Tofu, firm (3 oz) Folate : 6% Calcium : 3% Magnesium 6% Potassium : 5%
- Wheat germ (2 Tbsp) Vitamin B6 : 7 Vitamin E 13 Folate : 12 Magnesium : 11 Potassium : 4
- Kidney beans, cooked (1/2 cup) Vitamin B6 : 6 Folate : 29 Calcium : 3 Magnesium : 10 Potassium : 10
- Papaya (1 medium) Vitamin E :17 Folate : 29 Calcium: 7 Magnesium : 8 Potassium : 22
A general guideline for eating healthy foods is given at dietary recommendations for healthy heart foods.
The information given on this page is a general guidance only. It is in no way a medical advise. Please consult your doctor.