Treatment of diabetes is difficult, but it can be managed by proper life style changes. If neglected, diabetes can lead to various complications such as damage to the kidneys, heart disease, nerve damage and hypoglycemia (drastic reduction in glucose levels).
Following home remedies may control diabetes.
Diabetes causes and Diabetes Articles, foods that lower blood sugar
Home Cures for Diabetes
- Eat 1-2 teaspoons of coarsely powdered fenugreek seeds (dana methi) in the morning everyday. Soak 2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds in 1 cup water at night. Drink this water first thing in the morning. 2-5 g powdered seeds can be taken with water.
- A teaspoon of cinnamon spice a day may help prevent the onset of diabetes 2, according to a New Scientist report published in 2000. Nutritionist Richard Anderson advises, "People with type 2 diabetes could take a quarter to a full teaspoon a day of cinnamon, in coffee, tea or orange juice."
Research at the Agricultural Research Unit in Maryland indicates that cinnamon increases the glucose removal in diabetes patients by 20 times.
- Eat bittergourd (Karela) because it stimulates pancreas and liver and regulates blood sugar level. Drink 3-4 teaspoon juice of bitter gourd daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Drink 1 tablespoon of amla (Indian gooseberry) juice mixed with a cup of bitter gourd (karela) juice daily for 2 months.
- Eat Jambul fruit (Jamun) which is considered as an effective medicine for diabetes due to its effect on pancreas. Dry the seeds of jamun, powder them and take about 3-5 g with water twice a day. Jamun helps control the frequency of urine and blood sugar level.
- Taking 3-5 g dried neem leaves powder with water enhances insulin receptor sensitivity.
- Chew 10-15 basil (tulsi) leaves in the morning.
- Eat half a teaspoon of powdered mango leaves twice a day.
- Studies have shown that black coffee without sugar reduces the risk of Type 2 diabetes.
Foot care For Diabetics
Diabetes are prone to foot problems, so it is important to visit a professional chiropodist for a pedicure. You should follow the following simple steps suggested by The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons to take care of your feet.
- Daily wash your feet with soap and water, dry them and apply a rich moisturizer, but do not apply it between the toes.
- Keep feet warm and dry with socks.
- Avoid using sharp tools, antiseptics or heating pads on your feet.
- Do not sit with your legs crossed to prevent blood circulation problems.
- Avoid smoking to prevent circulatory problems.
1. Blood Sugar Level Ranges
2. Blood sugar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bookmarks, Share, Email, Add This Page
Food Related Articles