There are certain foods to eat to lower blood sugar. If you suffer from high blood sugar levels, you may take advantages of sugar lowering properties of these foods. Even if you have normal blood sugar level, you should consider these foods that regulate blood sugar. Learn how to lower a high blood sugar level simply by eating these foods.
- Avocados (also known as alligator pear because of its shape and color) are high in monounsaturated fats (60% of total fat) and high in soluble fiber that raise insulin sensitivity and can reverse insulin resistance.
- Avocados are very high in nutrients containing potassium, protein, magnesium,phosphorous, iron, copper, folic acid, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C, E.
- The avocado's sugar content decreases as it matures in contrast to other fruits which gain sugar as they ripen.
- They are a slow burning fuel and because of their low sugar, they are excellent for diabetics or sugar-sensitive disorders. Eat small slices of avocado through the day to balance blood sugar levels.
- Avocados should be eaten immediately after cutting, otherwise they will change color due to oxidation.
Cinnamon is high in fiber and magnesium and contains a natural compound, polyphenol, that mimic the effect of insulin significantly lowering blood sugar. It is also helpful in lowering cholesterol.
Strudies reveal that taking half a teaspoon of cinnamon daily can lower blood sugar level by 20 percent, the improvement can be seen after just 20 days. Very high levels of cinnamon could lead to hypoglycemia (sugar dropping to very low level). You can get recommended cinnamon dose in capsule form or from cinnamon foods.
Cherries contain red-pigmented antioxidants and are high in soluble fiber and low in calories, which can help raise your body's insulin output. They can help protect against cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
Lemons contain vitamin C, rutin and limonene that can lower the glycemic index of a meal considerably.
Flaxseeds are rich in phytochemicals, omega-3 fatty acids, thiamin, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, manganese, very low in carbohydrates, healthy fat and high fiber content which helps lower blood sugar, lowers cholesterol and good for weight loss. It is also strongly anti-inflammatory.
Raw garlic can raise insulin production and increase insulin sensitivity and in turn can lower blood sugar. Benefits of garlic.
- Eating bittergourd (Karela) stimulates pancreas and regulates blood sugar level.
Nuts are "slow-burning" foods that provide sustained energy due to their good fats and protein content. Eating a handful of nuts can lower insulin resistance, according to Harvard researchers who discovered that eating nuts can lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 20 percent.
Examples of healthy nuts are Almonds, Brazil Nuts, Cashews, Macadamia Nuts, Peanuts,Pecans, Walnuts, etc. If you are allergic to certain nuts, you should not eat them.
The high sulfur and flavonoid content of onions can cause a significant reduction in blood sugar level. They also also helpful in raising HDL level.
- Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are excellent sources of beta carotene and soluble fiber that regulate insulin response and help stabilize blood sugar. As the sweet potato digests slowly, it causes a gradual rise in blood sugar so you feel satisfied longer. It is also helpful in lowering cholesterol.
Sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients as given below:
Sweet Potato Nutrition Facts
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of potassium, manganese, copper, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, phosphorus and pantothenic acid.
Nutrition for for 1 medium size sweet potato. Source: US Department of Agriculture (www.usda.gov)
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
Potassium 265.2 mg
Calcium 28.6 mg
Sodium 16.9 mg
Fat 0.39 g
Protein 2.15 g
Net Carbs 31.56 g
Folate 18.2 mcg
Vitamin C 29.51 mg
Vitamin A 26081.9 IU
- Okra (Bhindi, Ladies fingers) to lower blood sugar
Take two okras and remove their both ends. make slit in the middle and put in a glass of water. Cover the glass and keep it at room temperature over night. Early morning, remove the pieces of okras from the glass and drink that water before breakfast.
Do it daily, you should see remarkable reduction of your sugar. Note that this ahs not been proved conclusively by research.
Addition of vinegar (2 table spoons) to a high starch meal containing simple carbohydrates such as potatoes, white rice and white bread appears to lower blood sugar levels and lessened the post-meal insulin spike.
Drinking plenty of water can flush harmful toxins from the body and lower blood sugar levels. Water therapy