The Therapeutic Lifestyle Diet
The low cholesterol diet prescribed in the TLC program is basically a low fat, low cholesterol diet. You may follow a TLC diet if your LDL cholesterol is above the recommended normal cholesterol levels.
The TLC Diet Guidelines
- 25-35% or less of the day's total calories from fat. Low-fat diets are more effective in keeping a healthy cardiovascular system.
- Less than 7% of the day's total calories from saturated fat.
- Less than 200 milligram of dietary cholesterol a day.
- Less than 2400 milligram sodium a day.
- Just enough calories to achieve or maintain a healthy weight and reduce blood cholesterol level. (Ask your doctor or a registered dietitian what is a reason able calorie level for you.)
- Soluble fiber foods may be increased in the diet if LDL is not lowered enough by reducing saturated fat and cholesterol in diet.
The low cholesterol diet or TLC diet needs you to do the following:
- Avoid foods high in saturated fats such as egg yolks, full-fat dairy products, deep fried foods, liver and other organ meats, sausage, hot dogs, bologna, salami and fatty and untrimmed red meats. Eat foods low in saturated fat, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grain foods and fat free dairy products. If you are a meat eater, then eat lean meats, fish and shellfish and skinless poultry.
- Do not eat deep fried foods. Bake, microwave, broil, poach, grill, roast, saut矯r lightly stir fry your food. You should know ways how to avoid fat in cooking.
- Choose vegetable a cooking oil that is high in unsaturated fats. Always select the .
- Eat high fibre vegetables, specially Exercise and fitness go hand-in-hand.
Diet Topics | Diet for Infants, 0 - 6 months old | Diet for 6 - 12 months old | 1 year old baby food chart | Diet for Sick People | Diet for Seniors | Low Cholesterol Diet | Diet for high blood pressureAnti-aging Diet | Pregnancy diet recipes | Foods to avoid in pregnancy | Foods to increase breast milk | Post Pregnancy Diet | Fertility Diet | Foods for Jains | Vegetarian diet for weight loss | Weight loss diet | Foods for weight gain | Diabetes diet | Gout causing foods