Some foods are naturally rich in fiber and mostly low in fat. There are also foods that are low in dietary fibers. Fatty foods have very little fiber.
Given below is a list of fruits and vegetables with their dtotal fiber content.
Good Fiber Foods:
Brans- wheat bran, oat bran, corn bran, rice bran. Eat high fiber foods from the list of high fiber foods.
Moderate Fiber Foods:
Whole Grains - Whole wheat flour, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal- rolled oats, steel cut oats, whole-oat flour, cornmeal, brown rice.
Low Fiber Foods:
Refined Items- White flour (bleached/unbleached), pasta, cream of wheat, oat flour, cornstarch, white rice.
Health experts recommend 20 to 30 grams of fiber each day.
Select sources of high fiber foods from the list of fruits, vegetables and other foods.
Fruits & Vegetables
- Fruits like raspberries, blackberries and strawberries, cherries, plums, pears, apples, kiwi fruit, guava, banana are high fiber fruits. Pears contain more fiber than prunes.
- Vegetables like fresh or frozen green peas, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, sweet corn, beet root, baked potato with the skin, carrot are high in fiber vegetables.
- Greens vegetables including spinach, beet greens, kale, collards, Swiss chard and turnip greens are also fiber rich foods.
- Legumes & Lentils: Dried beans, peas and other legumes including baked beans, kidney beans, split peas, dried limas, garbanzos, lentils, pinto beans and black beans are fiber rich. Green beans, snap beans, pole beans, lima beans and broad beans are also good fiber sources.
- Dried fruit such as figs, apricots and dates are high fiber foods.
- Nuts such as almonds, Brazil nuts, peanuts, pistachios and walnuts are fiber rich but also high in fat content, read calories in nuts.). But pistachios are the lowest in calories and fat of all nuts but rich in fiber contnet; a one-ounce serving has 3 grams of fiber.
- Whole wheat and barley products
- Rye, oats, buckwheat and cornmeal are high in fiber.
- Coconut is high fiber but also high in saturated fat.
The following chart gives the amount of dietary fibers in foods. You can select high fiber foods to eat.