Canker sores are the most commonly occurring type of mouth ulcer (aphthous ulcers). The mouth ulcers are different than oral herpes. Canker sores are on the inside of the mouth, whereas the oral herpes are usually on the corners of the mouth. Canker sores are formed on the loose tissues of the mouth at the skin inside the lips and cheeks, the lower part of the mouth, under the tongue, gums and the tonsil area.
The canker sores are not contagious.
Causes of Canker Sores
You may want to know what causes canker sores. Canker sores are common but no one knows real canker sore causes. Several causes have been suggested, but the exact cause is not clear.
The following causes for a canker sore have have been suggested.
- Canker sores may be due to heredity.
- Anxiety, stress and oral trauma may cause canker sores.
- Some anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen, and beta-blockers such as atenolol can cause canker sores.
- Deficiencies of iron, folic acid, or vitamin B12 have been associated with canker sores.
- Hormonal changes during menstrual cycle may be the cause of canker sore.
- If you are allergic or sensitivities to certain foods like chocolate, tomatoes, nuts, pineapple, you may develop canker sores.
- Some preservatives used in foods such as benzoic acid and cinnamaldehyde can cause these sores.
- Toothpastes containing sodium lauryl sulfate may be responsible for your canker sores.
- AIDS virus has been associated with canker sores.
The occurrence of canker sores is related to the immune system. There is no medical testing for canker sores. The most common characteristic of canker sore is that it is recurrent. Dentists usually distinguish canker sores from other ulcers by visual inspection.
Home Remedy and Treatment For Canker Sores
- Gargle with a mouth wash 3-4 times daily to get relief.
- Gargle with warm water with salt is a good home remedy.
- Gargle with water with potassium chlorate (1 a teaspoon of in a cup of water). Do not swallow.
- Apply a wet, black tea bag to the sores. The tannin in the black tea may help to get rid off the sores..
- Apply glycerine on the sores.
- Gargle with water containing hydrogen peroxide (1 tablespoon in a glass of water).
- Swish milk of magnesia in your mouth.
- Eat yogurt each day. Yogurt contains lactobacillus acidophilus that are believed to cure canker sores.
- Apply vitamin E oil from a capsule onto your canker sore. Repeating several times a day may heal your canker sores.
- Broken teeth, rough or broken fillings, or teeth with excessively sharp edges should be treated.
- Do not use hard toothbrush with irregular bristles. Brush your teeth gently.
- Use toothpaste and mouthwash that do not contain sodium lauryl sulfate or alcohol.
- Take multi-vitamin supplements to eliminate nutritional deficiency
- Avoid acidic drinks such as citrus juices, alcohol, chocolate, nuts and spicy foods.
Also Read The Following
Stomach Pain Relief | Acidity symptoms | Bee sting treatment | Heartburn Remedy | Common cold cure | Cold sores remedies | Sores throat home remedy |Natural constipation remedies |Canker sores cure | Home Remedies for diarrhea | Home remedies for sinus infection | Ear infection remedies | Ear wax removal at home | Chapped Lips Home Remedies | Fat Lips treatment | Grey hair remedies | Indigestion and loose motion | Heat rash remedies | Hiccups home remedy | Kidney stones home remedies | Hemorrhoids home cure | Head lice remedies | Sunburn symptoms | Sunpoisoning symptoms | Weight loss home remedies | Yeast infection home remedy | Grandma's home remedies | Herbal Remedies
Disclaimer: Please note that the home remedies for canker sores are only for minor common symptoms and should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. You should not rely on these remedies. Always consult your Doctor for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions of canker sores. You should also avoid using any of these remedies if you are allergic to any of the ingredients. The writer of this article or fatfreekitchen.com is not responsible in any manner.