Causes of Hiccups
What causes hiccups? Hiccups occur when diaphragm contracts repeatedly causing the opening between the vocal cords to slam shut, generating the hic sound. Hiccups may be caused due to fast eating with the chance of swallowing air, or eating too much foods causing irritation of the diaphragm.
In 2007 Jennifer Mee of St. Petersburg, Florida suffered from constant chronic hiccups, 50 times per minute for 36 days!
How To Stop Hiccups? Home remedies of hiccups
Most cures for hiccups are based on increasing blood carbon dioxide levels.
- Place a tablespoon of sugar in mouth and suck slowly. In most cases, it is a sure remedy.
- Block both ears and drink 6 ounces (about 175 ml) of water without stopping to breathe. It cures hiccup in more than 90% times.
- Hold your breath as long as possible and let it go out. The lungs expand and push down on the diaphragm, stopping hiccups immediately.
- Take a deep breathe through your mouth, lean forward and push down your stomach. Hold in that position as long as you can and then slowly exhale the air through your mouth.
"I tried the breath holding for hiccup relief. THANK GOODNESS it worked! I just took a big breath in and held it as long as I could and voila! The hiccups were gone !" writes Dee, USA, 3 Nov 2009. IP 22.214.171.124
"This is a great site. My hiccups just stopped after I had 2 tablespoon of sugar. Thanks for this. I had hiccups for 6 hours, which stopped!", writes Palli Reddy, USA, 12 Sept 2009, IP 126.96.36.199.
- Mix 2 tsp common salt in a cup of plain yogurt (curd, yogurt) and eat. In most cases, it is a good remedy for hiccups.
- Boil 1/2 tsp of cardamom fresh powder in 2 cup water till about 1 cup water remains, Sieve it and drink a glassful of this warm water.
- For recurring hiccups, suck small pieces of fresh ginger.
- Plug your ears with your fingers and drink something with a straw.
- Lay on your back.
- Put a paper bag over your mouth and nose and breathe several times.
- For some eating a spoonful of peanut butter stops hiccups immediately. It can work for children also.
- Pull your tongue out of your mouth as far as you can and hold it for a couple of seconds.
- Plug your ears and nose and drink water.
- Sing or laugh as loud as you can.
- Tickle your uvula (the piece of skin that hangs down deep inside in your mouth) with a wrapped straw.
- Engage yourself in talking with somebody and do not care about hiccups. The hiccups will stop in five minutes.
When to Consult a Doctor
You must consult your Doctor if
- your hiccups last for more than three hours, and/or
- it does not stop even after your sleep, and/or
- there is an acute abdominal pain with hiccups, and/or
- there is spitting up of blood.
Also Read The Following
Stomach Pain Relief | Acidity symptoms | Bee sting treatment | Heartburn Remedy | Common cold cure | Cold sores remedies | Sores throat home remedy |Natural constipation remedies |Canker sores cure | Home Remedies for diarrhea | Home remedies for sinus infection | Ear infection remedies | Ear wax removal at home | Chapped Lips Home Remedies | Fat Lips treatment | Grey hair remedies | Indigestion and loose motion | Heat rash remedies | Hiccups home remedy | Kidney stones home remedies | Hemorrhoids home cure | Head lice remedies | Sunburn symptoms | Sunpoisoning symptoms | Weight loss home remedies | Yeast infection home remedy | Grandma's home remedies | Herbal Remedies
Disclaimer: Please note that the home remedies are only for minor common symptoms and should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. You should not rely on these remedies. Always consult your Doctor for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. You should also avoid using any of these remedies if you are allergic to any of the ingredients. The writer of this article or fatfreekitchen.com is not responsible in any manner.