Often people ask how do I avoid getting symptoms of sinus infection. The main goal in treating a sinus infection involve promoting drainage from the sinuses, reducing the inflammation in the nasal passages and sinuses and eliminating the infection. The following natural treatment will promote clearance of mucus and getting rid off the infection.
Relief From Sinus Infection
- Drink plenty of water and non-fizz beverages. Drinking about 8 glasses of plain, pure, room temperature water is an inexpensive and healthy way to get relief.
Foods To Avoid To Avoid Sinus Infection
- Do not eat too much salty foods as salt when consumed in large quantities, leads to accumulation of water in your body.
- Avoid too much spicy foods as spicy foods lead to acidity.
- Avoid foods with simple sugars because sugar leads to excess mucous production.
Good Foods if you have Sinus Infection
- Eat foods with vitamin C like lemon, amla, orange, guava, berries, broccoli, lychee, kiwi fruit, etc. as they boost your immune system.
- Include plenty of Vitamin A like carrots, tomatoes, oranges, sweet potatoes, mangoes, broccoli, pumpkin, etc. in your diet as vitamin A helps build repairs mucous membranes that are damaged due to sinusitis.
- Inhale steam for about 10 minutes two to four times per day. Fold a towel into a square and run hot water over it in a sink put it in sink soak it completely. Remove excess water from the towel and place it into a microwave until you see steam coming out of the towel. Remove the towel very carefully and let it cool enough so that you can touch it. Cover your eyes and nose with this warm towel, keeping the mouth out. Lay on the bed and breathe deeply through the nose. This will clear your nose and give relief from headache.
You can add Vicks Vapo Rub or eucalyptus oil to the water or vaporizer. Get a towel and put it over your head and inhale the vapors.
- Rinse your nostrils with saline water. You can add some hydrogen peroxide or 1/2 tsp Betadine into 2 cup warm saline water several times a day. Betadine - saline water solution should relieve you from chronic symptoms. You can use a neti pot to rinse your nostrils with Betadine - saline water.
Use 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to 1 cup warm water and rinse your nostrils.
Hydrogen Peroxide for Nasal Infection
Mix 10 ml hydrogen peroxide in 20 ml Distilled Water. Put this mixture in a small squirt or spray bottle.
First rinse your sinuses with a warm saline water.
Spray hydrogen peroxide spray into your left nostril and roll your head to the left then turn head upright. Repeat with your right nostril.
Then spray hydrogen peroxide spray in both nostrils and pinch your nose and bend forward, allowing the mixture to reach your upper sinus cavities. Return to upright. This help promote clearance of mucus and getting rid off the infection.
- Nasal irrigation with Apple Cider Vinegar
Dissolve 1/2 tsp common salt, 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar and 1/8 tsp baking soda in warm water in a neti pot.
Tilt your head and pour half of the liquid in one nostril and let it pass out the other side. Then switch to the other side. Repeat this for 2-3 days. This will cure your infection in 2-3 days.
Lemon Juice for cinus infection
Put 2 or 3 fresh lemon juice drops into nose, each nostril and tilt your head back so that the juice reach your throat.
Garlic Juice for Nasal InfectionAdd 1 Tbsp salt and 1 tsp of garlic juice (or boiled garlic cloves) to hot water. Cover your head and inhale the steam for a few minutes. Blow gently. Do it 2 times daily to get rid of the infection in sinus in 1 to 3 days.
- Sesame Oil
Dip a Q Tip into a bottle of therapeutic sesame oil. Apply into each nostril and breathe deeply to get the sesame oil to the back of your sinus cavity. This works great for treating sinus infection.
- Lemon - Ginger tea
Mix 1 tsp grated ginger, 2 tsp grated lemon peel and 1 cinnamon stick in 1/2 cup water and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Add 3 Tbsp of this to a small tea cup of warm water and drink. This clears and soothes the throat.
- Ginger Tea
Make a tea by boiling 1 tea bag, ginger, lemon juice and black pepper powder in 1 cup water. This tea helps in clearing blockage and soothing the throat.
Gargle with warm salt water to relieve sore throat.
- Apply pressure on the pressure points for sinus pressure points.
- Other treatments
Decongestant nasal sprays like Otrivin, Afrin, etc. give relief in 1-3 minutes by reducing airway obstruction. However, these should not be used for more than 3 days. Oral decongestants in tablet or liquid form achieve their effect within 15-30 minutes, however, their prolonged use is not recommended. Both nasal and oral decongestants have side effects, causing increased heart rate and blood pressure, insomnia, nervousness, anxiety, tremor, dry mouth, blurry vision and headache.
When to Go To Doctor
You should consult to your doctor when there is a pain or pressure in the upper face accompanied by nasal congestion or discharge or postnasal drip. If sinusitis is left untreated, complications can occur that may lead to severe medical problems including infection of the eye socket, Pott puffy tumor, blood clot in the sinus area, visual problems and altered consciousness.
Also Read The Following
Stomach Pain Relief | Acidity symptoms | Bee sting treatment | Heartburn Remedy | Common cold cure | Cold sores remedies | Sores throat home remedy |Natural constipation remedies |Canker sores cure | Home Remedies for diarrhea | Home remedies for sinus infection | Ear infection remedies | Ear wax removal at home | Chapped Lips Home Remedies | Fat Lips treatment | Grey hair remedies | Indigestion and loose motion | Heat rash remedies | Hiccups home remedy | Kidney stones home remedies | Hemorrhoids home cure | Head lice remedies | Sunburn symptoms | Sunpoisoning symptoms | Weight loss home remedies | Yeast infection home remedy | Grandma's home remedies | Herbal Remedies
Disclaimer: Please note that the home remedies are only for minor common symptoms and should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. You should not rely on these remedies. Always consult your Doctor for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. You should also avoid using any of these remedies if you are allergic to any of the ingredients. The writer of this article or fatfreekitchen.com is not responsible in any manner.