Sore throat symptoms and its causes are given along with home remedies including recipe for salt water gargle are discussed. A sore throat (also known as pharyngitis or tonsillitis) is a disease primarily located in throat around the tonsils.
Causes & Symptoms
Sore throats can be caused due to many reasons.
- Infections due to either by viruses or bacteria.
Virus infection leads to flu, the common cold and mononucleosis with a stuffy, runny nose, sneezing and body aches.
The virus infection has no antibiotic treatment as viruses do not respond to antibiotics. The viruses are destroyed when our body builds antibodies. This takes about a week.
- The bacteria infection leads to strep, mycoplasma, or hemophilus. The strep infection can cause tonsillitis, pneumonia, sinusitis and ear infections. The strep infection can also damage heart valves and kidneys and should be treated with antibiotics. Note that coughing is not associated with strep throat, unlike viral or dryness related soreness. If you have frequent sore throat from tonsillitis, this suggests that the infection is not fully eliminated from your body.
- Infections in the nose can cause sore throats.
- Smoking, breathing polluted air, drinking alcohol and hay fever and other allergies may cause sore throats.
- A person who shouts or yells loudly gets a sore throat due to muscle strain and the rough treatment of throat membranes.
You can use the following treatment at home to cure a mild sore throat associated with cold or flu or running nose symptoms.
- Increase your liquid intake and make sure your house is humidified properly.
Recipe for Salt Water Gargle: Add 1/2 teaspoon of table salt to 1 glass of warm water and gargle several times a day. This cure works very good for sore throat and also act as a salt water sore tooth remedy. It is better to do salt-water gargle in the morning and evening to prevent sore throat.
- Drink a glass of hot water with 1 teaspoon lemon juice and some honey. You'll get quick relief from sore throat and will feel better instantly. You can also drink a chamomile tea with lemon and honey added.
- Cut a lemon into 2 pieces. Take one piece and put some salt and black pepper on it, press with a knife so that salt-pepper penetrate into the lime. Put the lemon on heat to make it warm. Slowly lick this lemon squeezing it until no juice remains. Do it 2-3 times a day to get relief from sure throat.
- Gargles with tamarind (Imli) water may be beneficial if you have a bad throat.
- Chives and scallions are helpful when simmered in water for 5 minutes. Drink as a tea.
- Figs, beets are beneficial in sore throat.
- Eat garlic. Garlic is an anti-septic and good for many conditions like that of sore throat.
- Take over-the-self pain relievers such as ibuprofen.
- Use commonsense hygeine.
Once you get rid of the sore throat, change your toothbrush, wash your towel, handkerchief, other clothes.
When to Consult a Doctor?
You should consult your Doctor in the following conditions:
- Severe and prolonged or frequently recurring sore throat.
- Severe sore throat if it does not go in 7 days.
- Difficulty breathing, swallowing, opening the mouth.
- Fever over 101 deg F.
- If there is puss in tonsillitis.
- Blood in saliva.
- Lump in neck.
Also Read The Following
Stomach Pain Relief | Acidity symptoms | Bee sting treatment | Heartburn Remedy | Common cold cure | Cold sores remedies | Sores throat home remedy |Natural constipation remedies |Canker sores cure | Home Remedies for diarrhea | Home remedies for sinus infection | Ear infection remedies | Ear wax removal at home | Chapped Lips Home Remedies | Fat Lips treatment | Grey hair remedies | Indigestion and loose motion | Heat rash remedies | Hiccups home remedy | Kidney stones home remedies | Hemorrhoids home cure | Head lice remedies | Sunburn symptoms | Sunpoisoning symptoms | Weight loss home remedies | Yeast infection home remedy | Grandma's home remedies | Herbal Remedies
Disclaimer: Please note that the home remedies are only for minor common symptoms of sore throat and should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition like that of sore throat. You should not rely on these remedies. Always consult your Doctor for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. You should also avoid using any of these remedies if you are allergic to any of the ingredients. The writer of this article or fatfreekitchen.com is not responsible in any manner.