First of all you should know what is vaginal yeast infection? Yeast infection (Candida albicans) is a disease caused due to fungal infection. It is caused by a group of microscopic fungi or yeast which live on all surfaces of our bodies.
They can cause infections in warm and moist areas of the body such as underarms, between toes, under breasts, around dentures and lower abdomen areas; causing vaginal yeast infections, thrush and skin and diaper rash. In women yeast infection is very common in vagina, so common that 75% of women have it at some time in their lives. Yeast infection in molst cases is not serious disease but it is very uncomfortable. In some cases it can be life-threatening.
Yeast are minute organisms (candida fungus) that live in small numbers on human body. The problem arises when their number grows. The acidity of the vagina prevents yeast from growing. If the acidity of the vagina decreases, then too many yeast grow, causing vaginal infection. The acidity of the vagina can be changed due to menstruation period, pregnancy, diabetes or birth control pills. A fungus called Candida albicans causes vaginal yeast infections.
Look at the picture to see how a vaginal yeast in fection looks like.
Symptoms of Yeast Infection
Following are the symptoms of a yeast infection.
- Itching and burning in the vagina.
- Swelling, itching and burning around the vulva (the skin that surrounds your vagina).
- A white thick vaginal discharge that is mostly odorless.
- Soreness & rash on outer lips of the vagina, vaginal burning, itching and discharge.
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Burning during urination.
- Bloating, weight gain
- Auto-immune disorders
- Digestion problems causing irritable bowel syndrome
- A thick white coating on the tongue
Yeast Infection Test
In the morning when you get up, take a fresh glass of water and spit into it. Watch your saliva for 15 minutes. Any of the following indicates the presence of yeast:
- The saliva drops to the bottom and looks cloudy.
- The saliva stays on top and thin strands under the cloud of the saliva are developed.
- It is suspended and looks as though little specks are floating.
Causes of Yeast Infection
What causes yeast infection?
- Lowered immunity
- Poor nutrition
- Digestive problems
- Physical and mental stress.
- Use of some antibiotics and steroids
- Birth control pills
- Menstrual periods
- Menstruation, pregnancy, diabetes and birth control pills.
How to Avoid It?
- Wear loose cotton underwear or panties (no synthetic-fiber clothes). Don't wear panty hose, leggings and tight jeans every day.
- Don't use deodorant sanitary pads or tampons and feminine hygiene sprays, or bubble bath, especially if you feel an infection.
- Change out of wet clothes as soon as possible. Before changing, use your blow dryer on a low to dry your genital area.
- Wipe from front to back after every use of the toilet. This may prevent reaching the bacteria from rectum to your vagina.
- Do not keep your stomach empty for a long time.
- Avoid too much meat, alcohol and dairy products. Lack of soluble fiber in diet can create dampness in the body which provides the perfect environment for candida to survive.
If you have itchiness or burning in the vagina or around vulva, you should talk to your doctor to be sure that a yeast infection is the cause. The symptoms of a yeast infection are also the symptoms of HIV & STDs infections. Some of the remedies for yeast infection given below may give you quick relief.
Natural Therapies For Yeast Infection in vagina
- Dip a tampon in plain yogurt (curd, yoghurt) containing Lactobacillus acidophilus and insert into the vagina twice a day until your symptoms clear up. Repeat this until one day after the symptoms disappear for complete cure.
- Coconut oil is an effective yeast infection home remedy. This oil has anti fungal, antimicrobial, antioxidant and antibacterial properties that may kill candida albicans fungi.
- Eat daily 1 cup of yogurt containing live bacteria Lactobacillus acidophilus (or acidophilus capsules) for 6 months to treat your infection.
- Peel a fresh clove of garlic and make a little tampon by wrapping it in cheesecloth and tying with unwaxed dental floss. You may leave a bit of floss to pull it out afterward. Insert it in vagina and leave there for several hours, say overnight and remove it in the morning. For severe infection, try this in the morning and during night both. Repeat this until one day after the symptoms disappear. This treatment works.
- Pour a few drops of Teatree oil (available from natural health stores) on a lubricated tampon & insert into the vagina to get relief.
- Insert 1 or 2 capsules of boric acid into the vagina and keep it there overnight for several nights. For some women the boric acid may cause burning and discomfort for the first few days.
- Dissolve 1 Tbsp of potassium sorbate in 1 cup water. Insert a tampon into the vagina and pour this solution inside to be absorbed by the tampon. Keep it there overnight. Repeat this for several nights.
- Add 1 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in 2 cups of water and put 1 garlic clove in it. Let it stand for some time and use this for douching.
- For other parts of the Body: Apply fresh garlic paste directly on the affected part of the body.
Diet to control candida
Eliminate the food items that causes candida and include complex carbohydrates, natural sweeteners (brown rice syrup or barley malt), protein, fermented foods with good bacteria like miso, quick pickles and condiments, seaweed, oils, nuts and seeds. Following are some recipes.
- Vegetable salad
Mix 1/2 cup each of cabbage, radishes and sliced cucumbers with 1/4 cup each of red onion and 1 tablespoon sea salt in a large bowl. Gently massage them until they begin to wilt and release liquid. Place a plate on top of vegetables inside the bowl and place a weight such as a brick on top to exert more pressure.
After 1 hour remove all the water from the bowland rinse with fresh water before serving the pressed salad.
- Salt water brine pickle
Dissolve 1 teaspoon sea salt in about 1 cup water in a wide mouth bottle. Put 2 cups of sliced carrot, cucumber, radish and ensure they are under the water. Cover it with a cloth and leave for 24 hours. The next day shut the lid of thebottle and store it. When you eat, rinse each vegetable slice. This gives you good bacteria for your meal.
When to Consult a Doctor
Contact your doctor if you have the following:
- Fever, pain in stomach, or a discharge with foul smell.
- No improvement within three days.
- Vagina yeast infection reoccurs in 2 months.
Also Read The Following
Stomach Pain Relief | Acidity symptoms | Bee sting treatment | Heartburn Remedy | Common cold cure | Cold sores remedies | Sores throat home remedy |Natural constipation remedies |Canker sores cure | Home Remedies for diarrhea | Home remedies for sinus infection | Ear infection remedies | Ear wax removal at home | Chapped Lips Home Remedies | Fat Lips treatment | Grey hair remedies | Indigestion and loose motion | Heat rash remedies | Hiccups home remedy | Kidney stones home remedies | Hemorrhoids home cure | Head lice remedies | Sunburn symptoms | Sunpoisoning symptoms | Weight loss home remedies | Yeast infection home remedy | Grandma's home remedies | Herbal Remedies
Disclaimer: Please note that the home remedies for yeast infection are only for minor common symptoms and should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. You should not rely on these remedies. Always consult your Doctor for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. You should also avoid using any of these remedies if you are allergic to any of the ingredients. The writer of this article or fatfreekitchen.com is not responsible in any manner.