Moong ki daal ka seera or halwa is a popular Indian sweet, particulary in winter season in Rajasthan. This recipe needs a high amount of ghee and therefore is very high in calories. Moong ki dal ka halwa, therefore, should not be eaten in large portion. Prepare delicious moong ka halwa at home.
This authentic Rajasthani recipe is popular in wedding dinners during winters.
Recipe type: Reduced fat (overall high fat), cholesterol free
Preparation time: 60 minute
- Moong dal (dhuli, without skin), 3 katori (cup)
- Ghee, 3 katori (cup)
- Sugar, 3 katori
- Water, 8 katori (cup)
- Water for soaking the dal
- Almond, silvered, 1 Tbsp grated
- Pista (pistachios), 1 Tbsp pigratedces
- Cardamom, freshly powdered, 1 tsp
- Wash the dal and soak it in water for overnight. Next morning, grind dal to a smooth paste without adding any water.
- Take ghee (or ghee+butter+oil - see below) in a pan and put dal in it. Cook the dal on medium heat till it turns golden brown and leaves a distinct aroma. At this stage, you will ghee separating from the dal. Initially you have to stir the dal to prevent sticking at the bottom.
- While the dal is being cooked, heat 7 katori water. Mix sugar and boil for 4-5 minutes, removing any scum.
- Add water in the dal of step 3 slowly stirring. Add cardamom powder and stir well. Cook slowly till all the water is absorbed.
- Garnish with grated almonds and pistachios.
- Traditionally moong ka seera is made with soaking green mung dal overnight and then washing it and grinding it. But you can start with soaking a washed (dhuli) dal.
- You can reduce the amount of ghee by taking 1 katori each of ghee, low saturated fat butter and canola/olive oil, instead of 3 katori ghee. Believe it, no body will know the difference and you will save much of the saturated fat.
Healthy dessert recipes | How to make chasni | Khoya or Mawa recipe| Nutrition facts of Milk | Ras Malai recipe | Rasgulla recipe | Milk Burfi | Almond burfi recipe | Khajoor burfi | Kaju Katli recipe | Shrikhand recipe | Kheer Recipe | Gulab Jamun recipe | Carrot halwa recipe | Sooji halwa recipe| Moon dal halwa recipe| Kasaar Aata Gud Burfi | Besan ladoo recipe | Calories in Rasgulla | Calories in Gulab Jamun