Cucumber nutrition, its benefits and healthy cucumber salad recipe are given below.
Cucumbers contain no cholesterol or saturated fats of any kind. One cup of sliced cucumber with skin contains 16 calories. The nutrition of cucumber is given in the chart below.
Serving size = Half a cup of sliced cucumber with skin
Protein - 34 g,
Calories - 8 cal
Dietary fibe - 0.3 g
Potassium - 76 mg
Phosphorus - 12 mg
Magnesium - 7 mg
Sodium - 1 mg
Calcium - 8 mg
Iron - 0.15 mg
Zinc - 0.1 mg
Selenium - 0.2 mcg
Copper - 0.021 mg
Manganese - 0.041 mg
Vitamin C - 1.5 mg
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.014 mg
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.017 mg
Vitamin B6 - 0.021 mg
Vitamin A - 55 IU
Vitamin K - 8.5 mcg
Vitamin E - 0.02 mg
Niacin - 0.051 mg
Folate - 4 mcg
Pantothenic Acid - 0.135 mg
Cucumber Health Benefits
- Cucumber is very beneficial for healthy and glowing skin and dark circles under eyes.
- Cucumber is best natural diuretic, so it is very good for promoting the flow of urine.
- Cucumbers provide healthy fiber, which is beneficial for anyone who suffers from constipation.
- The potassium content of cucumber is good for blood pressure.
- The vitamin K in cucumbers can boost bone mass.
- The anti-oxidant properties in cucumbers offer anti-aging benefits.
- Helps in kidney and urinary bladder disease, liver disease, diabetes, etc.
- The high silicon and sulphur content of the cucumber is said to promote the growth of hair.
- Cucumber juice is preventing diseases of the teeth, gums, especially pyorrhea.
Recipe type: Low fat, cholesterol free
Preparation time: 10 minute
- Cucumbers, 2 large peeled, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Green chili, 1 finely chopped
- Tomatoes, 4 cut into chunks
- Green onion (Scallion), 1 chopped
- Coriander/mint leaves, chopped 1 Tbsp
- yogurt 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Cumin seeds powder, 1/2 tsp
- Mix the cucumber, tomatoes, scallion and green chili in a salad bowl.
- Beat the yogurt and stir salt and cumin powder. Add to salad bowl and toss gently.
- Garnish with coriander/mint leaves.