Recipes for aloo kachori and pyaaz ki kachori are given which make kachoris khasta and tasty. The pyaaz kachori is also known as Jodhpuri Kachori.
Pyaaz Ki Kachori Recipe (प्याज़ की कचोरी), Baked Kachori & Fried Kachori
Type: Reduced fat, no added cholesterol
Preparation Time: 1 hour
- Potatoes, 2 medium size
- Onion, 1/2 finely chopped
- Ginger, grated, 1 tsp
- Garlic, grated, 1 tsp [Optional]
- Coriander (cilantro) seeds, 1 tsp
- Fresh lime juice, 2tsp
- Green chili, 1, finely chopped
- Coriander (cilantro) leaves, finely chopped, 1 Tbsp
- Garam masala (or to taste), 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder, 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Raisins/cashewnuts, 8-10
- Plain flour (Maida), 1 cup
- Canola oil for frying [Optional]
Filling Masala for Kachori: Roast or boil potatoes until tender. Mash the potatoes and add chopped onion, ginger, garlic, green chili, peas, coriander, lime juice, red chili powder, garam masala, salt, and raisins/cashew nuts. Mix well.
- Add some salt to plain flour.
- Take wheat flour in a wide plate and slowly add water mixing the flour with fingers. Knead into a smooth dough.
- Make small balls (size about 2 inch diameter) of dough.
- Roll one ball by a rolling pin to a size of about 3 inch diameter roti. Place 2 tsp of masala at the center of the roti. Dampen the edge of the roti allround with water and hold at 4-5 points at its rim, bringing close at the center. Press the points tightly and give a twist so that the masala is sealed inside. This will result into a ball of size 1.5 - 2 inch. Press this ball with your palm gently. See the kachori in photo.
Picture of Raw Kachori Baked Kachori Picture
Bake the kachori in a grill/oven. Preheat the oven to 200 deg C. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Repeat with all other balls.
You can deep fry kachori in oil. For this heat oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat. When oil starts smoking, add 3-4 kachories Deep fry the kachories and fry on medium heat until golden brown.
TIPS For Making Kachori
When you put the kachori in oil for frying, keep the folded side downwards. The kachori will never burst during frying and no stuffing will come out and mix in the oil.
Serve kachori with tomato sauce or coriander mint chutney or without anything.
Note: The deep fried kachori is only for those who do not mind eating fat for a change.
There is no need of frying the masala. You will save a lot of fat without sacrificing the taste.
Any leftover kachori can be kept in fridge for a few days. Heat them in an oven before serving.
Preserve unbaked or unfried kachori (i.e. filled kachori) in freezer for a few weeks.
This aloo - pyaz kachori is very good for picnics or during long-drives in cars.
Small size kachori is a very good entree item.