Pani puri or pani poori, also known as Gol Gappa (in Hindi गोल गप्पा, पानी पूरी, पानी पतासिये, Phuchuka in West Bengal) is a delicious snack that is liked by everybody. It is very easy to make, crispy puries (gol gappa) and tasty pani at home using the following recipe.
Recipe type: Cholesterol free
Preparation time: 60 minute
- Sooji (Semolina) fine, 1 cup
- Salt, 1/2 tsp
- Oil for frying
- Water, warm, about 1 cup
- For Pani
- Tamarind (Imli), 1/2 cup
- Water, 2 litre
- Salt to taste
- Cuminseeds, 1 tsp
- Red chili powder, 1 tsp
- Black pepper powdered, 1 tsp
- Mint, 1 bunch
- Coriander leaves, 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice, 1 Tbsp
- For Filling
- Potatoes, boiled and chopped, 1 cup
- Chole or white (Kabuli) chana (Chickpeas), boiled, 1/2 cup
- Tamarind chutney, 1/4 cup
- Add sufficient warm water to semolina and knead into a stiff dough. Cover it with a wet cloth for 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small balls and roll them one by one into chapattis.
- Cut one chapatti into smaller round shaped puries with a small round lid. Fry in hot oil till they turn golden brown on both the sides. Take out puries and put on a kitchen paper towel.
- Repeat for each chapatti.
- Note / Tips: If the oil is hot and the kneaded flour is hard enough, then the fried puries will absorb very less oil and they will be very crisp.
If the kneaded flour is not hard enough, then you will not be able to fry the puri from both the sides as it will be difficult to turn them upside down!
- Mix mint, coriander leaves and all the spices, add some water and grind into a mint chutney.
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 1 hour, mash and sieve.
- Add to chutney, add remaining water and mix well.
- Note: If you have a packet of Jal Jeera, then add 2-3 tsp of jal jeera to water and mint chutney.
Method for filling: Mix all the ingredients.
Mix all the ingredients of the filling well & keep aside.
How To Serve Pani Puri
Take one puri and make a small hole at the top and put some filling in it and then dip in water and serve one by one. Or serve 5-6 puries in a plate and some water in a bowl.