Tikki is a very popular snack. It is like a patty made of aloo and is served with imli chutney. It is not deep fried. Aloo tikki (Alu tikki) is a favorite snack in north India. You can make it at home with this easy and simple recipe.
Type: Low fat, no cholesterol
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 4 Potatoes medium size
- 1 Onion, very finely chopped
- 1 small piece ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds
- 2 green chili
- 1/2 tsp <garam masala (or to taste)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- olive oil or canola oil
- Boil or bake potatoes and mash. Mix all the ingredients except oil.
- Make small balls of the masala as above. Flatten the balls to make like patties of size about 2" diameter and 1/2 cm thick. Place a thick frying pan on medium heat and put 1/2 spoon oil. Place the tikkis on the pan and cook for about 15 minutes. Reverse the side of the tikkis and keep it for another 15 minutes. The both sides should become golden brown.
Serve with tomato sauce or coriander-mint chutney.