Cinnamon spice (Cinnamomum cassia, Hindi name: Dalchini दाल चीनी) gives a very good taste and flavor to dishes so it is used in rolls, buns, toast and other dessert recipes.
It is an aromatic herb that comes from a tropical evergreen tree of the laurel family growing up to 7m in its wild state. Both the bark and leaves are aromatic. It is the inner bark of the tree.
Cinnamon Stick Cinnamon Powder
A mixture of honey and cinnamon can cure most diseases. It is effective in heart disease, cholesterol, arthritis, bladder minfection, cold & cough, stomach problems, skin problems like acne, bad breath, immune system.
Cinnamon is used as a medicinal herb in India and other parts of Asia from centuries, but it is better known in the Western world as a culinary spice.
- It is used to treat nausea, flatulence, and loose motion remedy.
- The oil in cinnamon is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.
- Its extract has been used to treat gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea or dysentery.
- It is believed that the it is beneficial in controlling blood cholesterol and beneficial for diabetes.
- Cinnamon is one of the foods that lowers blood sugar.
- When you are down with cold, drink a cup of hot water with cinnamon, ginger root and some lemon. Common cold home remedy.
- It is a natural food preservative because it inhibits bacterial growth when added to food.
It is probably one of the most aromatic of the spices. It is an important ingredient of garam masala and is a sweet and mildly hot spice. It is used in sweets like mawa kachori, cakes, pies, buns, toast, other baked goods, rice puddings, chocolate dishes and fruit desserts, etc.
Tips for Storing & Using Cinnamon Spice
Buy hollow brown sticks or ground powder. Whole sticks (quills) keep their flavor indefinitely. Powdered cinnamon loses its flavor quickly, so you should purchase in small quantities and keep away from light in airtight containers.
Do not store powdered cinnamon spice in refrigerator, humidity will destroy it. Powdered cinnamon spice should be stored in airtight containers in a cool dark place.
Also Read The Following
All Spices & Herbs | Hindi Names of Spices | Medicinal Herbs | Amchur health benefits | Asafetida Hing Spice | Cinnamon spice benefits | Fenugreek health benefits | Ginger benefits | Turmeric spice health benefits | Mace Spice | Cinnamon Spice | Mint spice benefits | Cumin health benefits