Dum aloo is a curry vegetable using whole small potatoes. Do not cut them into small pieces.
Recipe type: Low fat, cholesterol free
Preparation time: 45 minute
- Potatoes, small size (plum size), 225 g
- Tomato, 1 large size (or tomato puree)
- Onion, 1, chopped
- Green chili, 1, chopped
- Ginger root, 1 small piece
- Garlic, 3 cloves
- Coriander (cilantro) leaves, 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Lime juice Fresh, 1 tsp
- Yogurt, 2 Tbsp
- Coriander powder, 1 tsp
- Red chili powder, 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala, 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Canola/Olive Oil, 1 Tbsp
- Wash the potatoes and boil in water till tender. Take them out and prick them all over with a fork.
- Put tomato in a grinder and grind. Transfer the puree to a bowl and keep aside.
- Put onion, garlic, ginger and green chili in a grinder and grind to a paste.
- Add about 3 tsp water to yogurt and mix all the spices in it. Stir well to make a paste.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and put oil. When the oil start smoking, add the cummin seeds and stir for a few seconds. Add garlic-ginger paste of step 3 and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the spices of step 4 and cook and cook on medium heat (stir frequently) until oil separates and a mesh type texture results (it takes about 5-7 minutes).
- Add tomato puree of step 2 and stir well for 1/2 a minute.
- Add potatoes, cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
Serve with roti, chapatti, naan, bread, etc. or use for burgers.