Recipe submitted by Kanika Nayar (IP 126.96.36.199)
Recipe type: Low fat, cholesterol free
Preparation time: 25 minute
- Bitter gourd (cut in round slices) 250 g
- Poppy seeds 25 g
- Black mustard seeds 25 g
- Green chilies 2-3, chopped
- Cooking oil, 2 Tbsp
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Red chili powder 1 tsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Kalonji 1 tsp
- Soaked the bitter gourd slices in salt-water for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain out the salt-water and wash the bitter gourd thoroughly and keep aside.
- Grind poppy seeds and mustard seeds, add some water and make a paste.
- Heat a non sticking skillet and pour oil. Add kalonji and green chili and saute. Add bitter gourd and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add poppy-mustard paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, sugar and salt and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of water, cover the pan and cook for 10-15 min on a medium flame with cover. When the gravy becomes thick and bitter gourd are soft, remove from heat.
- Serve Karela Posto with steaming plain rice.