Shahi Paneer is a favourite dish served in Indian restaurants. But it is simple to make at home using the following recipe.
Shahi paneer recipe in hindi (translated by google.com)
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Paneer, cubed, 2 cup
- Tomatoes, chopped, 1 cup
- Green chilies, 2, chopped
- Ginger root, 1/2 inch root, finely chopped
- Yogurt (dahi, curd), 1 cup
- Fresh corainder leaves (Cilantro), chopped,1 Tbsp
- Water, 1/2 cup
- Olive oil or Canola oil, 1 Tbsp
- Red chili powder, 1 tsp
- Turmeric Haldi powder, 1/2 tsp
- garam masala, 1/2 tsp
- coriander dhania powder, 2 tsp
- Cumin, 1/2 tsp
- Hing, Asafetida, a small grain
- Salt to taste
- Take chili powder, haldi powder, coriander powder, garam masala and 3-4 crushed paneer cubes in yogurt and mix well.
- Take oil in a skillet and heat it on medium heat. Add cumin seeds. When the seeds splutter, add ginger and green chilies and stir. After 1 minute, add the yogurt-spice mixture and tomatoes, and stir well. Cook till the oil separates, 5-7 minutes.
- Add water and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add paneer cubes and turn gently without breaking treh cubes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
The addition of crushed paneer and yogurt will make the gravy of Shahi Paneer thick. You can adjust the amount of water to get a desired thickness. In restaurants, grinded cashew nuts or poppy seeds are used to make the gravy thick.
There is no need to use ghee or butter although lots of ghee or butter is used in restaurants. Using oil will save unhealthy saturated fats without reducing the taste and flavour.