Know what is hoodia gordonii? Does hoodia gordoni really works for weight loss? Is it good for weight loss? Are there any hoodia side effects?
Hoodia gordonii is a natural succulent plant that looks like a cactus. It grows in the Kalahari Desert region of South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Angola. It is also known as hoodia, hoodia cactus, xhooba, khoba, Ghaap and South African desert cactus. It is said taht hoodia can help you lose weight.
Hoodia plant is difficult to grow. It requires 4-5 years to mature and requires temperatures in the range of 50 C or 122 F. There are about 20 types of hoodia plants, but only the hoodia gordonii is believed to contain the natural appetite suppressant property. It is said that the bushmen used to eat hoodia gorodnii stem to curb their hunger and thirst during their nomadic hunting trips. It is also said that they used it for abdominal cramps, hemorrhoids, tuberculosis, indigestion, hypertension and diabetes.
Healthy Weight Information
Weight Loss Tips
Calorie Burning Chart
Daily Calorie Burn Calculator
BMI Calculator & Chart
Natural metabolism boosters
Abdominal Exercises To Lose Belly Fat
Foods to avoid for weight loss
Body Fat Percentage Chart
Female Body Type Pictures
Ideal Body Weight
Waist To Hip Ratio
List of negative calorie foods
Fat Burning Food List
Homemade Bodywraps for Weight Loss
Weight Loss Home Remedies
Research on Hoodia
How does hoodia gordoni work?
No detailed research on hoodia gordoni has been conducted so far. Some studies have reported the hunger suppressant effect of hoodia gordonii. In animal studies on hoodia, caloric intake appeared to reduce by 30 to 50 percent.
- Recently, Phytopharm's Dr. Richard Dixey and researchers at the Brown University in Rhode Island, USA said that the steroidal glycosides (a molecule that is about 10000 times as active as glucose) present in gordonii hoodia affects nerve cells in brain's hypothalamus that monitor blood glucose. As a result of this, the brain thinks that there is enough sugar in the blood and there is no need to eat any more (the sensation of fullness), disabling the hunger mechanism. Phytopharm is developing the appetite suppressing component, P57 from hoodia gordonii.
- In a research paper [Brain Res. 2004 Sep 10;1020(1-2):1-1]), the researchers have isolated steroidal glycoside from hoodia gordonii and found to have a likely central (CNS) mechanism of action.
- In a clinical trial in Leicester, England, volunteers were given hoodia gordonii plant extract. After 15 days, they had reduced their caloric intake by 1000 calories per day. The important point to note that in this trial, none of the volunteers did any exercise. This trial study shows that the hoodia gordonii extract reduces hunger or curbs appetitive.
Hoodia Weight Loss
An average adult needs about 2,200 calories per day. To burn 1 pound (2.2 kg) of body fat, you need to burn 3500 calories. This number of calories can be burnt by doing exercise or by consuming less calories over a period of say 1 week. Then in 1 week you will lose 1 pound of body fat.
Now assuming that by taking gordonii hoodia extract, you need 1000 fewer calories per day. In 3.5 days you will consume 3500 fewer calories (1 pound fat loss), in 7 days 2 pounds of body fat, that is 8 pounds a month, simply by taking hoodia gordonii! This is a fantastic rate of weight loss., if hoodia gordonii actually suppresses appetite.
- Stahl, Lesley, African Plant May Help Fight Fat, CBS News 60 Minutes, November 21, 2004.
- Hawaleshka, Danylo, Hoodia love: An appetite suppressant used by Bushmen is the diet world's newest fad,
- Morris, Joan, Little research behind claims that hoodia is safe, effective for losing weight, Seattle Times, March 9, 2006,