Kidney Beans are rich in soluble fiber, so these are good in lowering cholesterol.They are a good source of protein, folate, iron, manganese and zinc. These are also a good source of iron and potassium, thiamin, riboflavin, phosphorus and copper. The bad thing about kidney beans is that they are high in saturated fat and sodium (Sodium Rich Food Sources).
The high soluble fiber in kidney beans help to eliminate cholesterol from the body and help cleanse the digestive tract. The high fiber may, however, cause wind in stomach. They also contain purines, so if you are suffering from gout or kidney stones (a href="/home-remedy/kidney-stones-remedy.html">Kidney stones remedy), you should limit kidney beans in your diet.
Nutrition values of Raw Kidney Beans
Serving Size 1 cup (185 g)
Protein: 15.1 g
Total fat: 0.8 g
Saturated Fat 0.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g
Carbohydrate: 45 g
Fiber: 9.8 g
Calcium: 98 mg
Iron: 2.2 mg
Sodium: 442 mg
Potassium: 801 mg Cholestrol: 0
Nutrition values of Boiled Kidney beans without salt
Serving Size 185 g
Calories 235 Calories
Protein: 16.8 g
Total Fat: 0.17g
Carbohydrate: 42 g
Potassium: 74 mg
Dietary Fiber: 13.4 g
The calories from fat is zero in the above nution data of rajma. Note that calorie in boiled rajma (kidney beans) will be considerably higher if you add butter or oil or ghee while cooking.
Cook rajmah, kidney beans in a healthy way as suggested in the recipe given here.
Whole grain recipes
Recipe type: Fat free, cholesterol free
Preparation time: 25 minute
- Rajma (Kidney beans) 1 cup
- Urad dal (Dal- Black Gram), 1 Tbsp
- Tomato, 1 large or equivalent purree
- Ginger, 1 inch root, crushed
- Garlic, 3 cloves, crushed
- Green chili, 1 chopped
- Potato, 1
- Coriander, fresh, 1 Tbsp finely chopped
- Lime/lemon juice, fresh, 1 tsp
- Water, 250 g
- Red chili powder, 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder, 1 tsp
- Garam masala, 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Hing (Asafoateda), 1 small grain
- Mix rajmah and dal and soak in water in a deep skillet or pressure cooker overnight or for 5-6 hours.
- Put the potato in the cooker, cover the cooker and cook for 1 whistle. Or cook for 15 minute if not using a pressure cooker.
- Take out the potato and mesh.
- Add meshed potato back into the cooker, also add all the ingredients to the cooker. Cook for 5-7 minutes on low heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with roti, paratha, naan, tortilla, etc.
In some places where the water is hard, chole (or any other whole-grans pulses, lentils and legumes) takes a very long time to cook. A pressure cooker is very useful in cooking whole-grans in general. You may also add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda to cook quickly and make the pulses softer. Note that the soda will make an unpleasant taste. So you must use a minimum amount of soda (about 1/4 teaspoon for 1/2 kilo of dried whole-grains). It is best to soak them in water for 10-12 hours.