The sooji idli does not require to soak the ingredients in advance. So this idli is very quick and easy to make.
Recipe type: Fat free, cholesterol free
Preparation time: 30 minute
- Sooji (Semolina) 2 cup
- Skim yogurt 200 g
- Potato 250 g, baked or steamed
- Onion 1, medium size, chopped
- Ginger 1/2 inch chopped
- Green Peas 1 Tbsp
- Green Chilli 2, finely chopped
- Canola oil, 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Garam Masala 1/2 tsp
- Amchur (Mango Powder) 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp lime/lemon juice
- Eno or baking soda, 1.75 tsp
- Mustered seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Take yogurt in a bowl and add semolina, salt and some water. Mix well to make a thick paste. Keep aside for 2 hours.
- Stuffing: Crush potato and mix onion, ginger, peas, green chili and spices.
- Heat a frying pan and spray oil. Put mustered seed and cook till they turn dark.
- Add 1.5 tsp Eno or baking soda and the mustered seeds to the above paste of step 1.
- Take a flat bottom wide skillet. Pour 2 cups of water. Invert a round cake making empty dish on the base of the skillet.
- Take another round cake making dish, lightly grease it and fill it to a height of about half a centimeter with the above mixture. Spread a thin layer (about 0.25 cm) of potato stuffing. Above this layer pour samolina paste to make another layer of half a centimeter.
- Place this dish on the inverted dish in the skillet. Cover the skillet with a plate. Put the skillet on medium heat. Let the water in the skillet boil for 8-10 minutes. Switch off the heat and let the skillet stand for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid of the skillet, take out the dish, invert it to remove the pattie. cut into smaller pieces and serve hot.
Serve hot with tomato catchup, coriander chutney.
- If you have small size of baking dish, divide the samolina paste into two parts, add half (0.75 tsp) of the Eno and make pattie. Repeat the process for the second part.
- Add Eno immedietly before the step of putting the patties for cooking. This will make patties very spongy.
- You can use Idli stand for making this dish.
- If you have made too many idlies, store them in the refrigirator. When required, take out and microwave them for a few seconds to get soft idlies.