Longevity depends on what you eat and on your life style.
For leading a long healthy life and living longer, you have to eat proper healthy food, do some exercise and remain active. Longevity can be achieved by the tips given on this page.
The secrets of longevity and longevity tips are given below. You can live longer if you follow these tips.
According to American U.S. Surgeon General's report on Nutrition and Health, 75% of cardiovascular disease, 60% of women's cancers, and 40% of men's cancers are related to nutrition and diet. Many of the deaths can be avoided if the persons take proper care of their health.
Here are some secrets of longevity to prolong life:
- Washing your hands adds two years.
- Good dental hygiene can add six years in your life.
- A stable married partnership can add on seven years to life, according to a 2006 study from University of California in Los Angeles. It showed that these people live healthier, happier and longer lives. A divorce can strip away 3 years from your life.
- Regular exercise adds about two or more years to your life, according to a Harvard Alumni Study. You should aim to burn at least 8400kJ (2000 cal) a week.
- Cigarette smoking can reduce 10 years from your life as tobacco smoke contains highly toxic chemicals.
- Smoking, no exercise, fast food and a stressful life can strip away 20 years.
- Eat healthy food
- Eat less, live longer.
- Don't smoke.
The researchers at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine found (in 2009) a link between smoking and premature aging. They have identified a key protein that is lost in premature aging, is decreased in smokers with chronic lung disease. Their reuslts say, "Smoking can accelerate the aging process and shorten the lifespan by an average of more than 10 years."
- Exercise daily.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Drink at least 8 glass of pure water daily.
- Moderate your alcohol intake.
- Keep one day fast every month. Drink only water on that day. This will detoxify you and clean your body from within.
- Have a positive outlook of life, donot have negative thinking.
- Learn to stay stress-free by practicing meditation.
- "Social support is a major factor in individual health on a par with the more commonly accepted biological factors of blood pressure, cholesterol, bacterial and viral exposure, and aging itself" says Dr. Stewart Wolf, Professor at Temple University of Medicine in Philadelphia. Your social connection- family members, friends, neighbors would make your life healthier, less stressful and possibly longer.
- Visit your doctor at least once a year for complete checkup (blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, liver function, etc.) Your doctor will tell you what tests are important for you.
- Immediately report to your doctor any symptoms of cancer, symptoms of heart disease, symptoms of stroke, etc.
General Longevity & Anti Aging Tips
- Half a raw onion a day to raise HDL cholesterol, an average of 25 percent in most people with cholesterol problems.
- You are two to three times more susceptible to stomach cancer if you do not eat fruits and vegetables.
- Eating one banana per day provides the extra 400 milligrams of potassium to reduce the chances of stroke by 40%.
- There are many high-fat items in the "Salad Bar". Load your plate with fresh vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, and low-fat dressing. Avoid creamy dressings.
The recommendations by the International Longevity Center(ILC), a private group for living a long and healthy life are given below:
- Exercise & Fitness
Ideally, adults should expand 2,000 to 3,000 calories each week in exercise. This can be achieved by brisk walking, cycling, jogging, or any other intense physical activity. All should do regular weight-lifting to strengthen legs, arms, and trunk.
Excessive weight gain at older age should be avoided. If you are overweight, then try to reduce your weight.
- Eating less helps elderly
Eating less can help older adults improve their memory and prevent or delay the onset of Alzheimer's, reduces the risk of heart disease and boosts cognitive ability, suggests a new study by Agnes Floel and team, at the University of Munster in Germany and published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in January 2009.
- Eat a variety of foods, at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Total Fat content: 30% maximum of daily calories
Aggressive fat reduction should be avoided, because it is associated with an increase in dietary carbohydrate, which is associated with insulin resistance, and a reduction is "good" cholesterol (HDL) and increase in "bad"(LDL) cholesterol and triglyceride.
- Cholesterol intake: Under 300mg
Reverse Aging : How To Delay Ageing
Have you affected by the damage of ageing. Several changes in individual organs of our body like skin, brain, heart and the lungs occur gradually as we age. At the age of 40, our bones, heart and eyes show the signs of ageing, while the kidneys around 55.
Early ageing may turn into more serious conditions at later age, such as dementia and depression or even Alzheimer's, if left unchecked. However, ageing can not be stopped, but can be retarded with lifestyle changes.
- Exercises like walking, jogging
- Eating healthy food
- Playing playing board games, solving puzzles and crosswords, reading, etc are good for brain.
Following are some tips to replenish the body youth and overturn the damage of ageing to the body.
Include some antioxidants daily like berries, green tea in your diet.
Include turmeric, cloves, oregano and cinnamon in your daily diet.
Eat a handful of nuts like almonds, walnuts and pistachios, and seeds like sunflower seeds and flax seeds daily.
- Fruits and Vegetables
Eat Vitamin rich green, yellows and orange fruits and vegetables.
If you eat fish, eat it twice a week.
Nutrients like Omega-3 acid, Vitamin D3 and folic acid may turnabout the damage.