Salads are very good for health. Salads are specially healthy for sick people and those who want to lose weight. Make salad an essential part of your meals.
Healthy salads can be pure vegetarian, in which different vegetables are included. Salads can also include sea foods, fish and meat alongwith vegetables. All these salads can be healthy, if their dressings are heathy. A healthy dressing means those involving less salt and saturated oils.
Cucumber nutrition, its benefits and healthy cucumber salad recipe are given below.
Cucumbers contain no cholesterol or saturated fats of any kind. One cup of sliced cucumber with skin contains 16 calories. The nutrition of cucumber is given in the chart below.
Serving size = Half a cup of sliced cucumber with skin
Protein - 34 g,
Calories - 8 cal
Dietary fibe - 0.3 g
Potassium - 76 mg
Phosphorus - 12 mg
Magnesium - 7 mg
Sodium - 1 mg
Calcium - 8 mg
Iron - 0.15 mg
Zinc - 0.1 mg
Selenium - 0.2 mcg
Copper - 0.021 mg
Manganese - 0.041 mg
Vitamin C - 1.5 mg
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.014 mg
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.017 mg
Vitamin B6 - 0.021 mg
Vitamin A - 55 IU
Vitamin K - 8.5 mcg
Vitamin E - 0.02 mg
Niacin - 0.051 mg
Folate - 4 mcg
Pantothenic Acid - 0.135 mg
Cucumber Health Benefits
- Cucumber is very beneficial for healthy and glowing skin and dark circles under eyes.
- Cucumber is best natural diuretic, so it is very good for promoting the flow of urine.
- Cucumbers provide healthy fiber, which is beneficial for anyone who suffers from constipation.
- The potassium content of cucumber is good for blood pressure.
- The vitamin K in cucumbers can boost bone mass.
- The anti-oxidant properties in cucumbers offer anti-aging benefits.
- Helps in kidney and urinary bladder disease, liver disease, diabetes, etc.
- The high silicon and sulphur content of the cucumber is said to promote the growth of hair.
- Cucumber juice is preventing diseases of the teeth, gums, especially pyorrhea.
Recipe type: Low fat, cholesterol free
Preparation time: 10 minute
- Cabbage, chopped coarsely, 2 cups
- Tomato, 1 cup finely sliced
- Onion, 1 Tbsp, rings
- Carrot, 1 cup, chopped into matchsticks
- Cucumber, 1 cup, chopped into matchsticks
- Green or red capsicum (pepper), 1/2 cup, chopped into matchstick size
- Button Mushroom, 1 cup finely sliced
- Celery stem & leaves, 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Lime/lemon juice 2 tsp
- Mint or coriander leaves, 1 Tbsp, minced
- Olive oil 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Pepper, 1/2 tsp