Toothache causes are discussed and what to do when there is a pain in teeth to get relief.
Toothache is a painful experience. You may have tooth pain due to several reasons.
The toothache pain can be severe that may be due to a number of reasons. Common causes of toothache are:
- Abscess (Infected tooth) may be a cause of toothache. A tooth abscess is a collection of pus resulting due to infection at the center of a tooth. Infection may spread out from the root of the tooth and to the bones supporting the tooth. Tissues within the tooth may get swollen due to infection which may be seen as a swollen bump near the tooth causing the toothache.
- An impacted tooth, a tooth that has failed to emerge fully through the gums.
- Bleeding Gum often lead to tooth pain.
Read below the home remedies for toothache and tips to ease the pain. Some of these may cure even severe pain.
Book an appointment with your dentist. Till you wait for the appointment, you can do the following at home.
Painkillers for getting reliefYou can take a recommended dose of a painkiller such as Ibuprofen, Paracetamol or Aspirin if it suits you. Ibuprofen relieves pain and also reduces inflammation.
- Clove Oil or Cloves for Toothache: Chew cloves or rub clove oil on the tooth. This is the most used toothache remedy at home. Chew a clove slowly with the aching tooth to release its juice and leave there for half an hour. Repeat 2-3 times. When applying clove oil you should be careful because too much of it can damage your teeth. Your pharmacist can give you a clove oil safe for your teeth.
- Salt water gargle recipe for sore tooth: Mix 1 tablespoon of common salt with 1 cup of warm water. Take a mouthful of this water and move it around the aching tooth. Salt is an excellent astringent, so salt water disinfects the tooth. You can do gargle with this water to act as a sore throat remedy. It is a good idea to do salt-water gargle in the morning and evening to prevent sore tooth and throat.
- Garlic For Tooth Pain: Peel and crush a clove of fresh garlic and mix it with peanut butter. Apply it to the aching tooth and keep it there for 5 minutes.
You can also use the garlic oil. Crush a clove of a garlic and wrap with a small piece of gauze and press hard until garlic releases its oil. Place the gauze on the tooth that is hurting for five minutes. Any longer and the garlic will burn the skin on inside of your mouth. Repeat 3-4 times with a gap of an hour.
- Ice For Painful Tooth: It is best to numb the nerves in your tooth by using ice or ice pack to stop the pain. Just wrap 4-5 ice cubes in a towel (or take a ice pack) and place it on your face over the side of paining tooth to get relief.
- Add some lime juice to asafetida (hing) spice powder. Soak a piece of cotton and hold it on the tooth and gum.
- Burn some turmeric spice sticks, make a fine powder and use as toothpowder.
- Chew a ginger piece slowly with the aching tooth/teeth to release its juice and leave there for half an hour. Repeat 2-3 times.
- Take a papaya leaf stick, scrape the bark, then sqeeze the juice out into the paining tooth. Repeat 2-3 times. After some time, the pain should disappear.
- Drink the juice of 2-3 star fruit twice a day to get relief from the tooth pain.
- Boil 5 gram of peppermint and a pinch of salt in 1 cup of water. Drink it to relieve toothache and other pains. You can use peppermint mouthwash.
- Pour a few drops of Vanilla extract on the paining tooth.
- Pour a few drops oil of oregano on the paining tooth or gum.
- Gargle with a mouthwash.
- Soak a cotton ball with 100 proof whiskey and place it on the tooth that is paining to get relief. Leave it there until all the whiskey comes out.
Helpful Tips For Tooth Pain
- Do not put anything like a toothpick inside your tooth while it is paining.
- Do not eat any sweets or desserts when your tooth is paining.
- Rinse your mouth with mouthwash or salt water frequently to kill the bacteria inside your mouth.
- Heat can make a toothache feel better but do not apply a heat pad if the tooth is infected. It may spread the bacteria causing the increase in pain and result in a swollen face.
- If you have a fever, go to your dentist as soon as possible.
Remedy for Teeth Stains & Loose Teeth
- Teeth Stains: Add a drop of clove oil to the toothpaste and brush.
Brush your teeth with soda-bicarbonate (sodium bicarbonate), it removes nicotine and other dark stains. It helps to prevent the formation of tartar and keeps the teeth white.
- Loose Teeth
Message teeth and gums with a paste of mustard seeds and table salt for about 10 minutes, twice a day.
Nimita, IP: 18.104.22.168 1:53am on Thursday, May 28th, 2015
It is very essential to maintain a good oral hygiene through natural ways. But it is equally important to visit a dentist as this will help in curing any dental problems at an early stage rather than it getting worse and costly. I got a tooth pulled out from a dentist Mumbai. Only if i knew the reason of tooth decay before maybe i wouldn't have had to get it pulled out. However am glad about it thinking of all the agony i had to go through because of it.