Asafoetida (Ferula assafoetida,asafetida) is also known as hing, ting, stinking gum, devil's dung, asant, giant fennel, Jowani badian, etc. It is the dried gum exuded from the rhizome of a perennial herb Ferula. Dried asafetida consists mostly of a resin. The resin (pure form) should be fried in hot oil. This changes the taste to a more pleasant impression.p>Asafetida comes from parsley family (Apiaceae). It has a very strong repugnant smell. This spice is used as a digestive aid. Use less than a pea-sized amount to flavour a dish for 5 people. The powdered asafetida is the resin mixed with rice flour and therefore much less strong in flavor, but more easy in using.
It is a popular spice in India and Persia. It was popular in Europe in the Middle Ages to flavour barbecued mutton.
Medical Uses of Asafoetida
- In Ayurveda, it is considered to be one of the best spices for flatulence and colic pain. It enhances appetite, taste and digestion.
- In Indian Subcontinent, it is used as antibiotic and it keeps small children healthy by protecting them from diseases.
- It was used for fighting Spanish influenza pandemic in 1918.
The roots of Asafoetida produce natural antiviral drug compounds that kill the swine flu virus, H1N1, reported in 2009 by the scientists at the Kaohsiung Medical University in Taiwan.
- It is used to aid digestion and as an antibiotic. This is used for treating children's colds simply by its odor.
- It is also helpful in bronchitis and asthma. It can be used for treating chronic bronchitis and whooping cough, and also reducing flatulence.
Nutrition of Asafetida
|Value per 100g|
| Moisture |
|16.000 gm |
297.000 K cal
| Carotene |
|4.000 µg |
|Minerals & Trace Elements|
| Magnesium |
|80.000 mg |
Also Read The Following
All Spices & Herbs | Hindi Names of Spices | Medicinal Herbs | Amchur health benefits | Asafetida Hing Spice | Cinnamon spice benefits | Fenugreek health benefits | Ginger benefits | Turmeric spice health benefits | Mace Spice | Cinnamon Spice | Mint spice benefits | Cumin health benefits