Brussels Sprouts are cruciferous and belong to family of cabbage, collard greens, broccoli, kale, and kohlrabi. They are typically 2.5 - 4 cm in size and look like miniature cabbages.
Calories In Brussels Sprouts : Brussels Sprouts Nutrition
These are a very good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, folic acid, dietary fiber, thiamin, omega-3 fatty acids, iron, phosphorus, protein, manganese, magnesium, riboflavin, potassium, copper and calcium. Because this is a rich source of folic acid (folate), it is very good for you, especially if you are pregnant. Pregnancy diet.
Nutrition Facts of Brussels Sprouts : Serving Size 100 g
Total Carbohydrates 7.1g
Dietary Fiber 3.6g
Folic acid (folate) 60mg
Vitamin K 175%DV*
Vitamin C 140%DV*
Vitamin A 9.5% DV*
* Based on 2000 calorie diet.
They contain a compound, goitrin that can interfere with thyroid hormone production, but small amounts in the diet may not have any effect on the thyroid function.
They contain sulforaphane, a chemical believed to have anti-cancer properties. These are also a source of indole-3-carbinol which boosts DNA repair in cells which may block the growth of cancer cells.
Brussels Sprouts Recipe
The most common method of preparing Brussels sprouts for cooking include boiling, steaming and roasting. It is noted that boiling results in significant loss of anti-cancer compounds.
Recipe type: Low fat, cholesterol free
Preparation time: 15 minute
- Brussels-Sprouts, 5-6
- Coriander leaves chopped, 1 Tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala, 1/2 tspn
- Rad chili powder, 1/2 tspn
- Lime/lemon juice , fresh, 1 tspn or Amchoor (dry mango powder), 1/2 tspn
- Corn flour or plain flour (maida) 1 tspn
- Skim yogurt 1/4 cup
- Canola oil 2 tst
- Wash Brussels-Sproutes. Hold 1 brussels sprout vertically on a choppig board by one hand and cut it to 3/4th way down. Rotate it and cut it once more so that all the 4 pieces remain joined.
- Mix well all the spices in the yogurt to make a paste.
- Keep 1 tspn spice paste aside. Fill the spice paste in all the brussells sprouts.
- Heat a nonsticking frying pan and spray oil. Put the spice paste and the Brussells sprouts and cover gently. Cover the pan and cook for 15-20 minutes on low heat.
- Add Brussels Sproutses, mix well, Add remaining water and cover it with a lid. Let it cook for about 5 minute on medium heat. Remove from flame and sprinkle coriander leaves.
Serve Brussels Sprouts with roti, bread, tottilla or rice.
Note It important not to overcook Brussels sprouts, because overcooking releases the glucosinolate sinigrin, which has a sulphurous odour which many people dislike.