Onion is a Allium vegetable like garlic,scallions, shallots, leeks and chives. Allium vegetables are rich in sulfides, sulfoxides, thiosulfinates and other sulfur compounds. The sulfur compounds in onion are only about 25% of that in garlic.
Calories - 26 cal
Dietary fiber - 0.8 g
Potassium - 100 mg
Phosphorus - 21 mg
Calcium - 13 mg
Iron - 0.14 mg
Magnesium - 7 mg
Sodium - 2 mg
Zinc - 0.13 mg
Copper - 0.04 mg
Manganese - 0.092 mg
Selenium - 0.4 mcg
Vitamin C - 3.1 mg
Niacin - 0.099 mg
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.025 mg
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.014 mg
Vitamin B6 - 0.077 mg
Pantothenic Acid - 0.068 mg
Folate - 9 mcg
Vitamin A - 1 IU
Vitamin K - 0.3 mcg
Vitamin E - 0.01 mg
Onion Health Benefits
Onions have a variety of medicinal benefits. The more pungent varieties of onion appear to possess the most health promoting phytochemicals.
- Onion is effective against many bacteria such as E. coli, Bacillus subtilis and Salmonella.
- Onions have antiviral , anti-allergy and antihistamine properties.
- Onions are used to treat colds, coughs, bacterial infections and breathing problems. repel insects.
- As onions diminish the risk of blood clots, they may be useful for the prevention of cardiovascular disease.
- Onion also protects against stomach and other cancers. Onion can improve lung function, especially in asthmatics.
- The sulfer compounds in onion detoxify the body.
- They are also used to repel insects.
- Onion should be cut and kept for at least 15 minutes before serving, as oxidation helps phytochemicals to get activated.