Dalia or daliya means broken wheat or cereal. It has a porridge-like texture and is mainly a dish made in India. Outside India you can use Bulgur to make dalia dish.
Dalia is a very nutritious and healthy dish with all the benefits of whole-grains. It is a good breakfast dish and even as a main dish in meals for babies, kids, sick and all other people. It is good for stomach, easily digestable. Dalia is high in carbohydrates, iron and fiber.
You might be interested in knowing how tomake dalia iand how it is eaten. Nutritious dalia recipe is given below which is very good for babies, kids, sick and all other people. It can be cooked as sweet dalia or regular dalia. The regular dalia can be eaten with yogurt (curd) or vegetable curries.
Recipe type: Fat free, cholesterol free
Preparation time: 30 minute
- Whole wheat, 1 cup
- Mung dal with skin, 1/2 cup
- Rice, 1/2 cup
- Water, 4 cup
- Green peas, frozen or fresh, 1/2 cup
- Onion, finely chopped, 1 cup
- Chopped coriander, 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder, 1 tsp
- Garam masala, 1/2 tsp
- In a pressure cooker, add all the ingredients and put on high heat. When the pressure is about to come, slow down the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and open the cooker after 5 minute and add peas and stir. Cover the cooker and leave for 5 minute.
- Garnish with onion and coriander.
Serve hot with yogurt or any cooked vegetable.
It is a good idea not to allow the cooker to whistle. When you feel that the cooker is about to whistle, slow down the heat. This way the ingredients will not fly away with the release of steam. This method although takes a slightly longer time but you will save a lot of cleaning time.