The list of low carb foods include several foods like vodka, coffee, meat and eggs. The low carb foods may be high in fat and cholesterol. Choose foods carefully from the list to make a low carbohydrate diet.
Eating a low carb diet can raise risk of heart disease, says a study (the Journal Diabetes Apr 2010) by Dr Steven Hunter from the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast.
Low Carbohydrate Vegetables
Following is a list of low carb foods and foods without any carbohydrates.
Low carbohydrate vegetables include asparagus, beet green, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, collard, cucumber, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, mustard green, olive, onions, parsley, pepper, pumpkin, radish, spinach, summer squash, turnip, watercress and zucchini. From the list of carbohydrates in vegetables and their other nutrients you can select low carb vegetables.
Low Carbohydrate Fruits
They include apple, avocados, banana, berries, coconut, fig, grapefruit, lime, lemon, kiwi fruit, melon, orange, pear, pineapple, plum, tangerine and tomato. Find the list of carbohydrates chart for fruits and their other nutrients and know the carbohydrates in apple, berries, blueberries & watermelon.
Foods Without Carbohydrates: No Carbohydrate Foods
- There are certain foods that have zero carbohydrates. Meat, poultry, game, dairy products including butter, cream and cheese, and fish are foods without any carbohydrates and are known as non-carbohydrate foods or zero carbohydrate foods. These foods may be high in calories, fats, sodium and cholesterol so if you are looking for a low carbohydrate diet, then you should consider this.
Pork, turkey, lamb, beef, chicken have no carbohydrate.
The fishes like salmon, Alaskan halibut, sardines, anchovies, trout and mackerel are in the list of low carbohydrate foods.
- Water is totally free of carbohydrates.
- Some spices, herbs, flavorings, salad dressings, pickles and condiments are low-carb foods. Spices such as peppers, dill, oregano, turmeric, sage and thyme can all be included in low carbohydrate diet.
- The oils including canola, corn oil, olive, sunflower, soybean oil, peanut oil, walnut oil and flaxseed, butter, margarine, most cheeses, vegetable shortening, etc. have zero carbohydrate.
- Raw egg white and egg yellow have no carbohydrates. Cooked eggs like omelette or boiled egg have 1 g carbohydrate.
Does vodka contain carbohydrates? What is the vodka carb count?People often ask how many carbs are in vodka?
Drinks such as club soda, wine and vodka are zero carbohydrate foods, i.e. 0 gram carbohydrate. Wine, gin, rum, vodka and whisky of 80, 86 and 90- Proof have zero carbohydrates in them, but they contain about 100 calories in 1.5 fl oz. Vodka does not contain any carbohydrate in it but the alcohol provides you the calories.
Note that the carbs in beer, wine, vodka, etc. is not the reason for their high calories, it is the alcohol level that determine its total energy content. Generally the stronger the alcoholic beverages, the higher the calorie content. The alcohol provides you 7 calories per gram, so all alcoholic drinks are not considered good for weight loss.
Carbohydrates in Vodka, Beer, Wine, Tea
Vodka, Beer, Wine, Tea, etc. are low carb foods.
|Alcoholic & other beverages||Amount|
|Gin, rum, vodka, whisky 86-Proof||45||0||105|
|Gin, rum, vodka, whisky 90-Proof||45||0||110|
|Gin, rum, vodka, whisky 80-Proof||45||0||95|
|Wine white medium||100||3.5||70|
|Wine white sweet||100||6||90|
|Wine white sparkling||100||1.5||74|
|Regular soda||1 can||36.05|
|Cola, diet||1 can||0.36|
|Tea, instant, unsweetened||240||0||0|
Carbs in a cup of coffee and tea
Tea and coffee have no carbohydrates.
Colas do not have any carbohydrate. But a 6 fl oz can of lemonade, concentrate, undiluted has 112 g carbohydrates and 425 calories.
Some other foods that are low in carbohydrates are soy foods, nuts such as almond and cashes, brown rice and various seeds.