Recipe type: Reduced fat, cholesterol free
Preparation time: 25 minute
- 1 cup Lobia (Black-eye beans)
- 1/2 bunch Palak (Spinach), stems removed, washed and finely chopped
- 1" Ginger root
- 1 large size Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 2 Green chili finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh Lime juice = 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Cummin seeds
- 1 small grain Hing (Asafoateda)
- Salt to taste
- Wash lobia. Soak in 3 cups of water for 4 hours.
- Heat a non-sticking skillet and pour oil. Add cummin seeds and hing. After 1/2 a minute, add all the ingredients except lobia, palak and coriander leaves. Add 2-3 tsp water. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes, stir 2-3 times. Keep aside
- Put on heat a deep skillet. Pour lobia with water and add palak. Let it boil till the lobia become tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Pour the masala prepared in step 2 into the skillet of step 3. Stir well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with chappati, roti, tortilla, bread, plain rice, etc.