Pav bhaji is a favorite cheap fast food dish from Maharasthra. It is popular through out India. Pao (pau) refers to the bread and bhaji to mixed vegetable curry. It is very nutritious as it contains several vegetables.
Pav Bhaji recipe in hindi (translated by google.com)
Recipe type: Low fat, cholesterol free
Preparation time: 25 minute
Ingredients For For 4 persons
- Potato, 2, boiled and meshed
- Onion, 1, finely chopped
- Garlic, 1 clove finely chopped
- Carrot, 2 medium size, grated
- Cabbage (patta gobhi), 1 cup, finely chopped
- Broccoli or cauliflower, 1 cup, finely chopped
- Beans (any type), 1 cup, finely chopped
- Green peas, 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes, 2, finely chopped
- Capsicum (Green pepper/banana pepper), 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Ginger root, 1 inch, finely chopped (or equivalent ginger paste)
- Green chilies, 2, finely chopped
- Lime/lemon juice, 1 tsp fresh
- Coriander, 1 Tbsp finely chopped
- Canola oil, 1 tsp
- Water, 2 cup
- Red chili powder, 1.5 tsp
- Coriander powder, 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala, 1 tsp
- Cumin (jeera)seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Amchur (mango powder) 1 tsp
- Cloves, 5, cut into fine pieces
- Hing (Asafoateda), 1 small grain or powder
- Salt to taste
- Heat a deep nonstick skillet and pour oil. Add cumin and let it splutter. Add hing, onion, garlic, ginger and green chili and stir for 5 minutes on medium heat or till onion turns brown.
- Add Tomatoes and stir, mesh the tomatoes stirring with a spoon pressing it against the walls of the skillet.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (except the potato and the spices) and the water. Cook for 10-15 minutes with occasionally stirring. Add potato and spices, and stir. Remove from heat after 5-7 minutes.
Serve bhaji with pav (or long burger buns) with or without low fat butter.
- The pav bhaji is very healthy and nutritious and is good for people who want to lose weight.
- This recipe is good to use any small quantities of uncooked vegetables left in your kitchen.
- You can use any additional vegetables in the recipe.
- This bhaji is very tasty even with roti, naan, bread, etc.