Details on wheatgrass including benefits of wheatgrass juice, and its nurition values and power are considered.
Wheatgrass is the young grass shoots of the wheatberry. It is considered to be a complete food because it contains every amino acid, vitamin, and mineral (some in only trace amounts) necessary for human nutrition (Nutrition Guide).
List of Benefits of Wheatgrass & Wheatgrass Juice
Wheatgrass juice is immediately absorbed into the bloodstream and gives immediate energy. The following advantages show that juicing wheatgrass is very beneficial.
- Wheatgrass energizes and reduces fatigue.
- It is a appetite suppressant so it can be good for quick weight loss.
- Wheatgrass juice act as a metabolism booster.
- It improves digestion.
- Wheatgrass juice enriches the blood, removes blood disorders, & lowers blood pressure
- Wheatgrass juice is antibacterial and helps cleanse the liver.
- It prevents tooth decay (bleeding gums, toothache remedy).
- It is good for skin problems and improves complexion, treats acne (home remedies of acne), and removes acne scars.
- Wheatgrass juice keeps hair from graying (grey hair treatment) & removes dandruff (dandruff treatment).
- It boosts the immune system, calms the nervous system and promotes regularity & act as a constipation home remedy.
- Wheatgrass helps with alkalizing your body reducing the side effects acids in your body.
- The chlorophyll present in wheatgrass will wash drug deposits from the body, neutralize toxins in the body, help purify the liver, and prevent ageing. The chlorophyll also stabilises blood sugar level.
Wheatgrass benefits reference: Ann Wigmore: The Wheatgrass Book
Steve Meyerowitz: Wheatgrass - Nature's Finest Medicine.
Nutrition Value of Wheatgrass
The wheatgrass plant contains high concentrations of chlorophyll, active enzymes, amino acids, vitamins, and other nutrients. Wheatgrass is one of the richest sources of vitamin A and vitamin C, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, sodium, sulfur, zinc, cobalt, and protein.
No complete nutrition analysis of wheatgrass or wheatgrass juice is available in the literature. However, in literature, pound for pound, wheatgrass is more than 20 times denser in nutrients than vegetables. One ounce of wheatgrass juice (one shot) contains 103 vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
It is mentioned that 1 ounce of fresh wheatgrass juice is equivalent to 2.5 pounds of vegetables in nutritional value. 1 ounce of wheatgrass has more vitamin C than 1 ounce of oranges. 1 ounce of wheatgrass has twice the vitamin A than in 1 ounce of carrots. It is said that 25ml of wheatgrass is equivalent in vitamins, minerals and amino acids to a kilogram of fresh garden vegetables in nutritional value. It is considered as a healing and reviving food.
Looking to these benefits of wheatgrass, many juice bars are now selling wheatgrass shots. A wheatgrass shot is a small amount of concentrated wheatgrass juice. Wheatgrass shots are deep green in color, because of high concentration of chlorophyll. The taste of wheatgrass shot is not liked by every one, it tastes like soil. You should always buy fresh juice.
The above information on nutrition values of wheatgrass has been taken from different web sites and books.
Nutritional values of wheatgrass in 100 g Juice
Following is the result of an analysis of wheatgrass nutrition carried by Irvine Analytical Laboratories, Inc.
Carbohydrates 2.0 g
Fat 0.06 g
Water 95 g
Sodium 10.3 mg
Iron 0.61 mg
Folic Acid 29 mcg
Dietary Fiber < 0.1 g
Glucose 0.80 g
Calcium 24.2 mg
Magnesium 24 mg
Selenium < 1 ppm
Potassium 147 mg
Zinc 0.33 mg
Phosphorus 75.2 mg
Vitamin A 427 IU
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.08 mg
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.13 mg
Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) 0.11 mg
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) 6.0 mg
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCI) 0.2 mg
Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) < 1 mcg
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) 3.65 mg
Vitamin E 15.2 IU
Chlorophyll 42.2 mg
Choline 92.4 mg
Wheatgrass Supplements are are available in health food stores in powder and tablets form. Wheatgrass supplements are powdered greens, that you can simply mix with water and drink. While buying wheatgrass supplement, make sure it is organic without any algae and no sweeteners added.