Cloves are the immature unopened flower buds of a tropical tree. When fresh, they are pink, but turn to a brown color when dried. They have a strong, sweet, aromatic taste.
Cloves (लौंग in Hindi) have many health benefits. They contain 20% essential oil, eugenol (an anesthetic) which is a very strong antiseptic. Clove exhibit high natural antioxidant capacity, says Miguel Hernandez University researchers (Sept 2011).
<-- Cloves Picture
- Clove oil is useul for toothache relief and can be applied to an aching tooth for immediate relief. (toothache home remedies)
- Cloves are strong stimulant and used to treat nausea, indigestion and dyspepsia.
- Clove oil is used in the manufacture of soaps, bath salts, perfumes and as a flavouring agent in medicine and dentistry.
- They help stimulate sluggish circulation and thereby promote digestion and " />
It is used for vomiting and indigestion.
- If you are feeling tensioned then, boil some water with mint leaves, basil leaves and clove. Use this water for black tea.
- Chewing a clove with some common salt relieves the irritation in the throat . Chewing a burnt clove is also an effective medicine for coughs. Some people put a clove in paan and burn it and then chew the paan for treating cough.
Clove is an important ingredient of garam masala.
Nutritional Values of Cloves
|Value per 100g|
| Moisture |
|25.200 gm |
286.000 K cal
| Carotene |
|253.000 µg |
|Minerals & Trace Elements|
| Magnesium |
|130.000 mg |
Source: National Institute of Nutrition, ICMR, Hyderabad, India. www.ninindia.org
Tips for Storing Cloves
Buy whole dried clove buds. Cloves are best bought whole. Store the powder of cloves in an airtight container, keep out of direct light.
Also Read The Following
All Spices & Herbs | Hindi Names of Spices | Medicinal Herbs | Amchur health benefits | Asafetida Hing Spice | Cinnamon spice benefits | Fenugreek health benefits | Ginger benefits | Turmeric spice health benefits | Mace Spice | Cinnamon Spice | Mint spice benefits | Cumin health benefits