Besi Bela Bath is the favourite dish in Karnataka, India.
Submitted by Roopa N. Potdar
Recipe Type: Low Fat
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:(for 3 persons)
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Toor Dhal (boiled)
- 1 potato
- 1 onion
- 2 tomato
- 1 Carrot
- 6-7 Beans chopped 1 inch in length
- 4 Tbsp green peas
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil or any vegetable oil
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- Select good quality basmati rice, preferably Dehraduni. After washing with water soak the rice in water for half an hour.
- Peel the potato, onion and the tomato. Cut potato and onion into thin circular pieces. Cut the tomato into 8-10 pieces.
- Drain all the water from the rice. Discard the water.
- Take a non-sticking skillet and place it on medium heat. Pour oil and when it is hot, add all the spices. Stir for 2 minutes. Add water and let it boil. Add potato pieces. Put the rice and boiled ToorDhal in the boiling water and let it cook for 10-15 minutes. The rice will be semicooked in this time.
- Add tomato, onion, and peas slowly stir. Cover the skillet and let it cook for 5 minutes. By this time all the water will evaporate. Sprinkle coriander leaves.
Serve hot. Good with papad, KARA Boondi, etc.