Rice Chane-ki-Dal Pulao
This tasty pulav is made of rice and chane ki dal and is very healthy having all the nutritional benefits of chana dal.
Recipe type: Reduced fat, cholesterol free
Preparation time: 30 minute
Ingredients: for 3
- 1 cup Basmati Rice(preferably Indian Dehraduni type)
- 3/4 cup split gram lentils (Chana dal)
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 Tbsp green peas
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped green chilies
- 1/2" ginger, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint leaves chopped or 1 tsp dried powdered mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil or any vegetable oil
- 2.5 cups water
- 3/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- Select good quality basmati rice, preferable Dehraduni. After washing with water soak the rice in water for half an hour.
- After washing the Chana dal, soak in water for 4-5 hours.
- Peel the onion and the tomato. Cut onion into thin semi-circular pieces. Cut the tomato into 8-10 pieces.
- Drain all the water from the rice and dal. Discard the water.
- Take a non-sticking skillet and place it on medium heat. Pour oil and when it is hot, add all the spices. Stir for 2 minutes. Add water and let it boil. Add Dal and let it boil for 5 minutes. Put the rice in the boiling water and let it cook for 10-15 minutes. The rice and Dal will be semicooked in this time.
- Add tomato, onion, and peas, and slowly stir. Cover the skillet and let it cook for 5 minutes. By this time all the water will evaporate. Sprinkle mint powder.coriander leaves.
Serve hot. Good with papad, yogurt, vegetable curry, etc.