You must have noticed that your most of the joints like underarms, armpits, elbows and knees are dark compared to other body parts. The dark skin in the armpit, however, could be embarrassing when you wear a sleeveless dress. And if you are a fair skin complexion person, then your dark underarms become more visible and noticeable.
Why you have dark armpits and what is the solution for them? Try the home remedies for improving dark armpits and underarms.
What causes underarm darkening? The main cause for excessive dark armpits and under arms, knees and inner thighs are as under:
- Although excessive sweating does not make under arm area dark, but if you spray perfumes and deodorants directly on the armpits to get rid of bad odour then the armpit area become darker. They contain metallic salts that cause in darkening the skin tone.
- Improper washing of underarms
- Excessive shaving in armpits
- Excessive use of hair removing creams. The chemicals in them can cause discolouration.
- Constant irritation on skin due to friction caused by wearing tight clothes.
- Buildup of dead skin
How To Lighten Dark Underarms
Smelly underarms and armpits
- Make a paste by mixing gram flour (besan), yogurt (curd), lime or lemon juice and a little turmeric (haldi) powder and apply under the arms. Wash it off after half an hour. Repeat every second day. This recipe is good for whitening.
- Apply a mixture of lemon and cucumber juice (equal amount) with 1/8 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Leave for 20 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Make a paste by mixing 1 teaspoon of lime or lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of cucumber juice and some turmeric powder and apply on your armpits. Wash it off after half an hour.
- Lemon, cucumber and potato are bleaching agents so they offer good solutions for underarms and armpits. Rub a piece of lemon or cucumber or potato on the armpit and keep it for sometime. You can also apply juice of lemon or cucumber or potato.
- Baking soda also acts favorably in curing the darkness of the underarms. After bath, apply some baking soda onto the armpits.
- Make a paste by mixing some sandalwood powder and a few drops of rose water to and apply to your underarms.
- General tips
Do not shave your underarms. Waxing is best for hair removal underarms. Wear cotton clothes. Use anti-fungal talcum powder or rub alum instead of deodorants and anti-perspirants. Follow proper hygiene techniques.