Simple Basic Recipe
The following (biscuit) recipes are very easy and need no eggs, so they are also vegan cookie recipes. The recipe involves olive oil and no butter so it makes healthy cookies. Following is a simple basic recipe to make very crispy and tasty biscuits, which can be modified to make other type of biscuits including chocolate, oatmeal and sugar cookies.
Recipe type: Dairy product, low fat
Preparation time: 30 minute
- Self-raising flour, 2 cup or
Plan flour (maida), 2 cup & baking powder, 2 tsp, Mix well.
- Light olive oil or canola oil, 2 Tbsp (See note below)
- Milk, 100 -150 ml
- Sugar, 2 Tbs or to taste
- Cardamom powder, 1/8 tsp
- Almonds, 15-20
- Sprinkle cardamom powder in the flour and pour oil. Use your hand to rub oil into the flour. Dissolve sugar in milk and add it slowly to flour and knead to make a soft dough.
- Roll to 4-5 mm thick and cut into small pieces with a biscuit cutter. Or make small balls and roll each into 1.5 inch size, approximately. Press one almond at the center of each cookie.
- Put on a baking plate and bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 15-20 minutes. Makes about 15 cookies.
- The traditional recipes use butter or margarine, but in our method we recommend to use light oilve oil or canola oil. This will make biscuits healthy containing less saturated fat.
- If you can't resist using butter, then use 75% oil and 25% butter.
- If you have high cholesterol, then you may use a butter containing plant stanalol which reduces cholesterol absorption.
Shape of Cookies
These can be made of any desired shape like circular, square, triangular, star, bread man, etc. Buy a cookie cutter of the shape you like. Use it cut the cookies in step 2 above.
The basic cookie recipe can be modified to make different types.
Add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon when adding the flour.
Replace 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 cup coconut.
Add ginger powder in the flour.
Add grated rind of I/2 lemon and 1 tsp of lemon juice in the flour.
Either add small walnut pieces in the flour or press one walnut piece in place of almond on each cookie.
Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Add a few brown chocolate chips (very fine pieces) in the flour.
Almond Cookie Recipe
Replace half cup flour with 1/2 cup almond flour.
Oatmeal Cookies Withour baking
Submitted by Melinda Suttle.
Recipe type: Fat free, cholesterol free
Preparation time: 10 minute
- Oat meal, 2.5 cup
- Sugar, 2 cup
- Cocoa, 4 Tbsp
- Butter (heart foundation recommended), 1 stick
- Skim milk, 1/2 cup
- Peanut butter, 1/2 cup
- Vanilla, 1 tsp
- Almond flavor, 1 tsp
- Mix sugar, cocoa, butter, and milk in a bowl. Pour them in a pot and let boil for 2 minutes and then add the peanut butter, vanilla, almond flavoring, an the oats. Combine well.
- Put on a wax paper in spoon fulls and let cool.
Healthy dessert recipes | How to make chasni | Khoya or Mawa recipe| Nutrition facts of Milk | Ras Malai recipe | Rasgulla recipe | Milk Burfi | Almond burfi recipe | Khajoor burfi | Kaju Katli recipe | Shrikhand recipe | Kheer Recipe | Gulab Jamun recipe | Carrot halwa recipe | Sooji halwa recipe| Moon dal halwa recipe| Kasaar Aata Gud Burfi | Besan ladoo recipe | Calories in Rasgulla | Calories in Gulab Jamun