Dates nutrition and their health benefits are considered. Khajur burfi is a delicious and nutritious sweet, rich in protein, iron, fibers and other nutrients.
Date (Hindi name Khajur) fruits grow on the palm tree belonging to the family of Arecaceae and scientifically named as Phoenix dactylifera. Some of the date palm varieties are Saidy, Amir Hajj, Ruthab, Khadrawy, Tamr and Medjool.
In grocery stores dates are available throughout the year in soft, semi-dry and dried types- pitted or with seeds. You should store dates in an air-tight container at room temperature in a cool place to keep them well for several months.
Nutrition of Dates : Health Benefits of Dates
The nutrition and calories in dates are tabulated below:
Source: USDA National Nutrient data base.
|Dates Nutritive Value per 100 g|
|Energy||277 Kcal or 277 Cal|
|Total Fat||0.15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6.7 g|
|Pantothenic acid||0.805 mg|
|Vitamin A||149 IU|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Vitamin K||2.7 ug|
ug = microgram
- Dates are sodium-free, fat-free and cholesterol-free, which make them a healthy dessert option.
- Date is a calorie dense fruit, 100 g of dates contain 266 calories! If you eat 3 big size dates, then you are consuming about 150 calories!
- Dates contain soft, easily digestible fruits. They are simple sugars (carbohydrates ) like fructose and dextrose so they revitalize the body instantly.
- Dates are rich in iron (foods high in iron), potassium (potassium rich foods), calcium, manganese, copper, protein (high protein foods) and magnesium. 100 g of dates give you 0.90 mg of iron and 696 mg potassium.
- Dates are loaded with soluble fiber and insoluble fibers so they are filling. They keep your bowel habits regular.
- Eating dates offer some protection from prostate, colon, breast, lung, endometrial and pancreatic cancers (cancer fighting foods) because they contain flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants (antioxidant foods list) known as tannins, beta-carotene, carotenoid, lutein and zea-xanthin . These are known to possess anti-inflammatory, anti-hemorrhagic properties and ability to protect body cells from harmful effects of oxygen-free radicals.
Zea-xanthin offers protection against age-related macular degeneration.
- Dates are moderate sources of vitamin A and B-complex group of vitamins. It contains very good amounts of pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), niacin, pantothenic acid, and riboflavin.
- Dried dates contain aspirin in the form of acetyl salicylic acid so it is analgesics, good for reducing pain. Salicylates in the dates can lower blood pressure. Dates are safe for hypertensive (high BP) patients.
- Dates play an important role in the growth of children, the formation of blood and bone marrow, and keeping the arterial wall elasticity.